Easter Weekend SGI

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Supa Fly

Easter Weekend SGI

Post by Supa Fly »

Hi guys. Been a while since I put anything up here. Fished the surf at St George this past Saturday and Monday, and had a great time. Hit the beach Saturday, to find light South winds and fairly dirty surf. Started blindcasting in a couple of troughs and found the reds pretty quickly. Most fish were around 25" to 28". Fished the rising tide throughout the day and ended the day with 26 fish between me and my buddy. Here's one from Saturday.....

Did the family Easter thing on Sunday, and then headed back to the beach for more redfish action on Monday. The weather was pretty much the same as Saturday, but the surf had cleared up quite considerably. Went back to the same trough from Saturday, and the fish were still there. Pulled about 15 out pretty quickly, and then some guy in a boat decides to motor up right on the other side of the sandbar and cruise back and forth about 5 times whilst staring at us the whole time. I'm not sure what exactly was going through his head but after some expletives were exchanged between he and my friend he decided to anchor about 50 yards down from us on the bar. :smt017 My friend Bill and I each caught one more fish after that, and then nothing. Unfortunately this happened to Bill right after that last fish....

What a bummer. I told him it was karma for all the bad stuff he had just shouted at the guy in the boat. :wink: Neither one of us had brought a spare fly rod, but we had spinning rods. When I suggested he go get a spinning rod, he said, "I think I'm gonna do it like Lefty does". He then proceeded to put the broken-off butt of his rod in his stripping basket with the reel attached, and cast his rod using three out of the four original pieces of it. We fished the trough a little longer with nothing, so Bill moved to the outside of the bar. I saw him catch a fish and then motion for me to come out there. We stood on that bar for another few hours and caught one fish after another, from schools of 100 to 200 fish that just kept cruising up and down the bar. All the fish were 26" to 30" and readily took anything you could put in front of them. We ended the day with 37 reds. This was the best day I have ever had in the surf at SGI, and probably the best day I have ever had redfishing period. Here's a 30" fish from Monday....
Till next time fellas......
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Easter Weekend SGI

Post by DixieReb »

Wow, those are some great reds! I didn't know they schooled that thick in the surf over there, can't wait til we go back to SGI and we can try 'em.
Yours in the South
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Those are the kind of days you dream of!! :thumbup:

I was on the Island all weekend myself and hammered them as well!!
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
haliaetus

Post by haliaetus »

Awesome. Were you both fly fishing?
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Photoshop=:O
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

Haliaetus: yes we were both flyfishing, with the exception of the first few reds caught on Saturday on spinning rods which we used to find the fish in the dirty water that day. Redfin: don't be hatin' on me dawg!! :lol:
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

thats insane, good job :thumbup: :thumbup:
Get your mind right
volguy

Post by volguy »

that is super cool. you guys dropped the hammer down on some reds. i like the broken rod thing the most. way to regroup. heheheheheh :-D :-D

i am amazed more and more out how absolutely disrespectful guys are becoming in boats. we were out this past weekend east of you guys (in a boat). we were fishing a specific bar and this guy motors right up to us (like 30 feet right up too us) and shuts his engine off and starts fishing. i proceed to tell him he is about to drift right over the bar and mess his boat up and he looks down like he never saw it and takes a pole out and pushes off. we change positions on the place and i look up and here he comes back. this time he stops about 30 feet downcast of us and starts fishing. :smt011 :smt009 :smt012 i threw my hands up and prodeeded to give him a lecture on what he was doing. i guess i am growing up a little as i never used a single bad word. the guy acted like he had no clue what he had done. i was absolutely amazed.