Question about my new boat...

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Swampbugs

Question about my new boat...

Post by Swampbugs »

Just bought an 06' 14ft alumacraft with a 15 horse honda. I'm mostly a bass fisherman, but I wanna take it down to St. Joe this weekend and run out to the end of the peninsula. I see it is supposed to get pretty windy. I don't spend much time out on the salt water, but that size boat should be fine on the bay, right? Thanks.
culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: Question about my new boat...

Post by culrich »

With what they are calling for on Saturday and Sunday, I would keep yo butt on the lake. :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

St. Joe Bay can be as rough as the Gulf. Sometimes you can stay on the shallow edges and be OK, when the wind is blowing but....it is a very deep bay and can swamp larger boats when she's angry.

Don't ask how I know this!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I came across the bay last year during an afternoon storm during scallop season and I thought I was being filmed for "The Perfect Storm II". I was in a 21 foot Sea Pro and it was taking a beating. Be careful.....
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

NO!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

SE wind you would be fine for launching at Presnells and staying on the flat to the fire channel....I would not venture west or north of Black's Island and not goto the peninsula....would be rough as hell on the Cape on the inside with a SE wind
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

Yep. I get beat usually every time I run back into the bay from the beachside with a southern wind. Taking waves over the bow and idling the whole way is pretty standard for me on a windy afternoon. And my boat is 21'.
Get your mind right
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I reference this post and read it well.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... rks#p99864
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

NO
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Just be VERY careful! I have always had jon boats and in fact prefer them to my bay boat in some situations. However, watch the weather. The big danger is waves swamping your boat and it is easy to happen. You have a bilge pump, right?
Team Jolly Mon
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Swampbugs wrote: . . .14ft alumacraft with a 15 horse honda. . . that size boat should be fine on the bay, right?
Right; when "protected waters" conditions are "smooth" or "smooth to a light chop"; mostly smooth. That means winds 10 knots or less.

Here is forecast for this weekend:

Saturday
South wind 10 to 15 knots...increasing to 15 to 20 knots in the afternoon. Seas building to 4 to 6 feet. Protected waters a moderate chop to choppy. :thumbdown:

Sunday
South wind around 15 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Protected waters a moderate chop. :cry:

Forget Saturday. :smt009 I wouldn't risk it on Sunday either; :hammer: But if you do, and if you get nervous, turn back right away.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

absolutely not this weekend. we store our 26' at psj marina...we find the bay to often be rougher than the gulf...we had planned to go this weekend, but are cancelling based on the forecast...even if the 4 to 6 went to 2 to 4, still do not try it in the boat you mentioned.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

If you have to ask, the answer is usually no. With this forecast, you should ask and the answer is no, if the forecast is right.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Could I interest you in some life insurance looks like your gonna need it.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I go Grouper fishin in my 17.5 Bass boat, and I wouldn't hit PSJ with that forecast :o wait for a better weekend, you'll enjoy fishing out there when the weather is right :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”