The BP oil rig

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

1Nitrofish

The BP oil rig

Post by 1Nitrofish »

Wow...as much as we need the stuff and the future of more oil rigs in the gulf...this could ruin fishing , the ECO system, and much wildlife for all of us.I hate to see what is around the corner for the Cajuns with the tide and wind direction headed towards them today. Makes me have mixed thoughts on more drilling unless the big companies (BP) take more precautions to prevent this from happening again. Opinions?
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/oil.sp ... tml?hpt=T1
Last edited by 1Nitrofish on April 29th, 2010, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: The BP oil rig

Post by Gulf Coast »

MY THOUGHTS TOO :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Let me get my sarcasm out of the way first and then I'll share my true feelings -- for each and every idiot out there who blamed Bush for Hurrricane Katrina, going as far as to say that he had the gov secretly blow up the levees, turn around's fair play -- THE OIL RIG EXPLOSION IS OBAMA'S FAULT! IT'S ALL HAPPENING UNDER HIS WATCH AND HE IS FULLY TO BLAME!!! :smt019 :smt098 :lol:

OK... smart @$$ commentary out of the way, here's my sincere thoughts. I wonder how many of us drove vehicles today, ran lights at our homes, used heat this past winter, will use AC this summer, will mow our grass, plow our fields, and have our servicemen using tons of oil to fight radical islam in Afghanistan (reminder -- this one Obama's war :wink: ). Like it or not, oil is a key comodity for our current lifestyles. If anyone on the board wants to advocate we live like the Amish then I'll respect the "no oil" talk (kayakers/canoe users, doubt you all are Amish but again you will be closer to practicing what your preach). But for all of us driving on ashphalt roads pulling boats behind us, real world conditions TODAY dictate we get it from somewhere. It's an imperfect world and there isn't a "perfect" solution. My humble .02 is that I would like to see us use as much of our own as possible so we don't have to do trade with those eager to kill us/eradicate us and use our needs against us. This said, by all means I hope we work aggressively for future alternative solutions so we do what we can to move away from problems with oil. Reminds me of something my wise old Dad said when he heard a TV commentator claiming Bush got us in Iraq just to fight for oil... he said, "Wonder how that reporter would feel living without it... don't think the fighting is for oil alone, but wars have been waged for far less valuable commodities."
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

One additional thought... if effective shut off technologies exist, than by all means they should be immediately implemented on all rigs. I'll defend our IMMEDIATE need for oil, but won't defend short circuiting sound safety practices.
salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

NO TREE HUGGER HERE, JUST WANT THERE TO BE SOME FISH TO CATCH. I GOT 4 BOYS THAT ARE 5TH OR 6TH GENERATION COUNTY BOYS 9,6,4 AND 16 MONTHS. WHAT IS THE GOVN. COMING TO PUSH ON THEM. FEEL LIKE THEY GOT CHOKE HOLD ON ME NOW. :smt021 :smt021
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

MAV wrote:NO TREE HUGGER HERE, JUST WANT THERE TO BE SOME FISH TO CATCH. I GOT 4 BOYS THAT ARE 5TH OR 6TH GENERATION COUNTY BOYS 9,6,4 AND 16 MONTHS. WHAT IS THE GOVN. COMING TO PUSH ON THEM. FEEL LIKE THEY GOT CHOKE HOLD ON ME NOW. :smt021 :smt021
Remember to vote against incumbent liberals whatever political party they are.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
1Nitrofish

Post by 1Nitrofish »

big bend gyrene wrote:One additional thought... if effective shut off technologies exist, than by all means they should be immediately implemented on all rigs. I'll defend our IMMEDIATE need for oil, but won't defend short circuiting sound safety practices.
salute1
Yes sir!....well said! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
konrad

Post by konrad »

Unless I get a 100% guarantee this won’t happen to us, I will strongly oppose any drilling off our coast. I don't care if this is a conservative fundamentalist or a left wing liberal stance. What I care about is fishing, diving and hunting in my home waters. If I have to pay 5 more cents a gal at the pump then so be it. It's a small price to pay.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

What's odd to me is that it was a BP rig. BP has some of the strictest safety protocals and procedures of any related company.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

NOW THEY CAN ADD SOME MORE
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Rig was owned by Transocean and leased by BP. But it apparently had a good track record for safety and oil discoveries up until this disaster. I just received an alert from ROFF's Ocean Forecasting Service and once the oil gets into the Gulf Stream Loop Current, it will eventually end up as far away as the Keys and NC's Outer Banks.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I have several good friends who work in or closely with the oil industry. I'm not ready to give up my outboard or my Ford truck. But there definitely needs to be more safeguards and quicker response plans to prevent this from happening in the future.

I've been over to Louisiana 3 times since January. I can't fathom waves of oil and tar balls washing up in Biloxi Marsh. I also used to live in Pensacola and I shutter to think of those gorgeous sugar-white beaches covered in a black sheen.

It truly is a national nightmare on so many levels.
konrad

Post by konrad »

An article pertaining how this affects FL.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/201 ... pace-Coast
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Lifted from another site I frequent. I'm guessing my 4 day Tuna trip for June is out now.
May1.jpg
May1.jpg (141.17 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

MSN POST BP:" WE'LL TAKE HELP FROM ANYONE" WE CAN GO TO THE MOON,SENT A SHIP TO MARS, AND CAN'T STOP A LEAK HERE. EVEN IF IT A MILE DOWN
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Would not suprise me if BP or like did not do this themselves. Obama takes big hit with liberals because of his open policies now toward off shore drilling. Futures going through the roof in light of future O.S.D., either way oil companies win. Get ready for 4 dollar a gallon again. Well, there is your tea party. Really, Really hope I am wrong, just a thought.