OIL IN THE GULF

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

OIL IN THE GULF

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

Am I worried? You bet I am. I'm worried that our fishing grounds will be covered with oil. That the oyster beds that attract the Red Fish I catch will be covered with oil. I'm worried that our worst nightmares are just around the corner.

Most of us have been opposed to off shore drilling. Now those who were for it must realize the folly, and the dangers associated with off shore drilling.

When I was young and was spear fishing under most of the rigs off of south Louisiana, where I was born, I saw some horrible things happen. Things that were never talked about. We were not as ecologically concerned then. But they happened, and continue to happen. And I'm scared.

Here is an attachment showing just how big the rig fire was. One report said in places the oil is thirty feet or more deep, not just a slick.
Horizon.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 189 times
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
Charles
Site Sponsor

Re: OIL IN THE GULF

Post by Charles »

This event has changed my mind about one thing. I used to think drilling in the gulf was a bad idea. Now I think it's just flat stupid. There is no way the environmental and economic impact from this is worth the return.

And this happened using cutting edge technology. The potential for such a blowout has always been there, and can never be eliminated. No new drilling. It's not worth the risk.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I am afraid our Big Bend will be changed for a long time after this.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
haliaetus

Post by haliaetus »

If more people understood the limited impact drilling for oil in Florida's waters would have on the actual price of a gallon of gasoline, or what its real impact on the amount of oil we will continue to import from the Middle East will be, there would be far fewer folks in the SP, "Drill Baby Drill" camp. That is part of the problem when we get our news from only limited sources.

As far as the environmental issues, I'm sure everyone on this site is aware of what this is doing.

I'll be even more upset if it turns out that the spill could have been halted days ago if proper safety measures, procedures, and equipment that could have been in place weren't. Time will tell.
Redphisher

Post by Redphisher »

This could be so very bad, unfortunately time will tell and hopefully we'll get lucky. The thought of something like this ruining the Gulf is absolutely scary. :smt010
Keep our fish stock strong... Release more fish...
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

I am still a supporter of drilling in the gulf but still stick bye what ive always felt on the issue. Untill a better option is opened up do it but with higher regulations rules and standers. This statments "It is thought that somehow formation fluids – oil /gas – got into the wellbore and were undetected until it was too late to take action" Screems out to me with the keyword here "Somehow" your telling me you have a rig full of "pros" who cant even tell you how this happened? someone needs a little more training before putting them on these rigs, and how is it that a spark of any kind was created to ignite the Oil/gas? This entire deal sounds like pure human error, errors that could have been prevented had more extisive training took place. Take a look at the minimum education requirments to work on these oil rigs found on oilcareers.com.

(The majority of entry level rig jobs do not require a formal education as the employer is more interested in your ability to do your job well and learn quickly than in how many years you went to school. Some jobs, such as a ballast controlman, mud engineer, etc., require at least a high school education. Other positions, as they get more complex, will naturally require higher levels of education.)

You must have a High school deploma to work at wal-mart but something like a oil rig doesnt require shit unless you wanna be a engineer then you only have to have a high school deploma? These people need to be better educated before being allowed to go out and work on a rig like this that could end up causing a mass environmental problem.
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

One final thing, just found that some of these oil rigs do not require that a welder on these rigs do not require any welding education as long as they have some welding exprience... this is like tossing a match into a barrel of gas and hoping it dont catch on fire...
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

The sky is falling ... the sky is falling. The same thing can happen and has happened from a super tanker breakup.

When all you ride is your horse, a bike and row your boat ashore, I will be glad to listen to your ideas. Otherwise, it is polite to close your mouth when chewing!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Jhults11 wrote:http://www.abc26.com/news/local/wgno-ne ... ?track=rss
What doomsday point are you trying to make?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

It's all under control now...

Obama Pledges 'Relentless' Oil Spill Cleanup, Defends Federal Response
:roll:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.