Alligator Point Cuda"B" 5/15/10

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point Cuda"B" 5/15/10

Post by fish finder »

I finally was able to get my schedule to allow for some time offshore! Left the dock with a crew of 5 ,including me, and stopped at Dog Island Reef to load up with some pinfish. Bait was plentiful so we had a livewell full in 20-30 minutes of catchin. After checking with crew on their resolve, as I could tell it was going to be rough offshore, not the 2-3ft sea that NOAA was forecasting, I made the decision to head SE to find some Gag grouper, without the hassle of releasing a bunch of Red Snapper in the process. With the wind out of the SE around a steady 15 knots and 4-5ft choppy rollers once we made past bouy 26; it made for a long, slow ride, to get to where I wanted to fish. Once we got to the area, we hit 6 or 7 holes, all with the same result; we would catch about 10 grouper, putting 1 or 2 keepers in the fishbox at each spot before the bite would shut down and we would move on. We able to get our 5 man limit of Gags (10) and 1 Red grouper, without seeing the first Red Snapper! 8)

The wind had begun to let up around 1pm and we just had a some left over 3ft swells at our back for the ride home at 4pm. Cuda"B" ran great and all had a good time. The best bait was of course live pinfish, but we were able to catch a few with LY's and sardines. We also put a few nice rock bass and a bunch of Key West Snapper (Grunts) in the box too. We fished in 52 - 57 ft over lime rock bottom. Visibility was a non issue due to the sea conditions being what they were, and I think the water temp was around 75 degrees. Back at the dock around 5:30 with a tired but happy crew! :D No pics this trip.

One side note; we were checked by FWC, in unmarked boat in Alligator Bay just before we got to the marina. It was the first time I had ever been checked by FWC officers in plain clothes; a couple of young guys toting 9mm's and a badge. Two of our Gags did not measure on their board, both being about 1/8 - 1/4 inch short. :-? After checking everything else and finding nothing wrong, I was issued a written warning, my first in 20 years of fishing the big bend. I was perturbed but relieved that it was just a warning and know that I got a break. It is frustrating when you are releasing 75% of what you catch to have to make a call on a "just legal" fish, but since they don't allow for shrinkage when they check, you have to allow for it when you check. :smt012 I don't like it, but it is what it is!

One final thing that bothered me later that afternoon; those two officers had fishing rods in the boat with them and I began to wonder if it was all legit?? No markings on the boat, except for two small blue lights stuck on the front of the center console, no uniforms and fishing rods in the boat?? I have been checked many times over the years, but all of those things were a first for me.

Be safe and wise!

Capt. Jay
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator Point Cuda"B" 5/15/10

Post by wevans »

They are the real thang :thumbup:
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =1&t=25565

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/foru ... at-ya-post

Glad they cut ya some slack :thumbup: goes ta show they aint such bad folks :-D Good deal on the limit of Grouper also :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”