Smellin oil in PSJ

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Smellin oil in PSJ

Post by Redbelly »

I hear they can smell it there. I hear when the summer currents start, it will be ugly.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Smellin oil in PSJ

Post by Jumptrout51 »

pft.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

I got family down there right now, no oil smell.
Get your mind right
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Good
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

That is exactly the kind of comments that have guides, hotels, restaurants etc.... going broke in LA.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

A fella I know who's brother lives there told me. Maybe he was smellin something else, and thought that what it is.

Have you seen the recent pics of the marshes over there?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

No oil or oil smell in PSJ. And it's not just the people in LA struggling right now. A local rental agency has had 50k worth of cancellations in the last couple of weeks. The guy is probably smelling the control burn that has been saturating the air with smoke the last two weeks.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Open.JPG
Open.JPG (74.51 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Redbelly wrote:I hear they can smell it there. I hear when the summer currents start, it will be ugly.
I hear the wind from now till December will pushin it west and will be soaked up by the TX sands. I hear it smells like poo at Keaton Beach canal... but I think it's cause of the stinky mudd at low tide :(
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

How much ethanol will they have to add to meet EPA regs? Maybe it will make it smell 10% better.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Redfin wrote:
Redbelly wrote:I hear they can smell it there. I hear when the summer currents start, it will be ugly.
I hear the wind from now till December will pushin it west and will be soaked up by the TX sands. I hear it smells like poo at Keaton Beach canal... but I think it's cause of the stinky mudd at low tide :(
Don't we get predominate S/SW winds in sum mer?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Did you hear the one about the Buckeye Mill attempting to lower water quality standards at Fenholloway because it can't meet them? Seems like a slippery-slope.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I am at the Cape and there is NO oil smell! I suspect the guy smelled a 2 stroke outboard's exhaust. The summer current along this part of the coast is an increasing WESTWARDLY flow, taking the oil further from the Big Bend area.

The spreading of these lies is just another form of eco-terrorism. This event is bad enough without lies being added to it.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Redfin wrote: I hear the wind from now till December will pushin it west and will be soaked up by the TX sands. I hear it smells like poo at Keaton Beach canal... but I think it's cause of the stinky mudd at low tide :(
It always smells like poo at the Keaton canal. It's because the canal is poorly designed with no flushing mechanism. I was there yesterday evening. No abnormal smells. No need to cancel any reservations. The water may have been oil-slick smooth yesterday, but that had nothing to do with the oil spill. That just means we're finaly getting a little break from this wind.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Double Naught
Site Sponsor

Post by Double Naught »

When you smell it, you will know it. I smelled it on May 8 when we got out close to 30 miles off Panacea. It was more like a greasy shop smell than poo. The wind was strong and steady from the west and the smell was not at all like the oil wells I once smelled in Kentucky.

I really haven't had a desire to post this unpopular info knowing there are people who would rather not know. Seeing someone accused of spreading lies has most definitely changed that. I am NOT an eco-terrorist. Sometimes the truth is unpleasant MD. :smt012

If anyone wants to bury their head in the sand, then disregard this as someone who smelled some rotting seaweed, I sure wish I could... If you want to help, tell people to come down to the coast as soon as possible and enjoy an unspoiled coast. We might not have it forever.

That's all I got to say about that.