What is too rough?

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BullHound

What is too rough?

Post by BullHound »

We have a trip lined up to charter a boat for offshore out of Mexico Beach Sunday. The prediction shows 3-4ft offshore. What is to be expected? I've never been on a chartered trip, will they take us out no matter what and take our money?

How is the fishing effected by the swells? I believe we are planning on bottom fishing most of the day.

I hope I'm just being overly concerned but I am a little nervous. I'm sure these guys know what they are doing and wouldn't put us in harms way.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Re: What is too rough?

Post by Tidedancer »

That will all depend on the size of the boat you are on. The fish don't care how ruff it is. They live in the water not on the surface. So if your captain thinks it's OK to go and he has a good size boat you will be OK.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Your safety and comfort depends on the size of the boat. Take a Dramamine the night before, and another in the morning (on top of a Pepcid). :thumbup:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
BullHound

Post by BullHound »

Thanks for the replies. We are going out on a 27' catamaran style boat. I'm sure the captain will keep our safety as top priority. My nerves are getting the best of me.

Already bought the Dramamine. I will definitely have those in the system well before we get on the boat. Got some Pepcid on hand in case the beer starts to back talk me.

Good luck to anyone hitting the water this weekend...we need to enjoy it while we can.
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

It depends on what boat you are on. Some boats out of MB are good for that condition, others are not so good. It is going to be a washing machine out there this weekend. We were going to fish the bluewater outriggers tournament in a 31' boat but we are staying home if that is any indication.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I would think the 27 foot catamaran should be sufficient. If he's a good captain, he knows what he's doing.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

He will go slower and not as far because of it. Your in a boat that can do those seas as well as any. Cats are good stable and designed to go when others in the same range cannot. Many of the great charter boats in Louisiana are cats they bring home the meat. I am a 1-2 kind of guy but was in solid 5s last year out of Destin in a 31' contender. It was ezpz and we caught fish and had a great time. Don't let it get in your head my wife gets sea sick in 1s on my carolina skiff because of the fear not the water. Don't lay down look at the horizon keep your head up and eyes open breath deep if you can live without it don't drink beer or sodas pour the water hard cold and fastit will be hot and you can dehydrate fast enough with out beer all a hangover is is dehydration alcohol evaporates quicker than water.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Redphisher

Post by Redphisher »

Someone said it, head up, keep looking a the horizon, drink water, keep your eyes on the horizon. Oh yeah... and have FUN. I've fished from big charter boats in 6ft+++. Sick as a dog and cranking in fish, had a blast...
Keep our fish stock strong... Release more fish...
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

Having some beers helps prevent sea sickness. It balances your equilibrium...or something like that.
Get your mind right
BullHound

Post by BullHound »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take it slow...probably won't open the first beer until breakfast. :-D I will definitely wait at least a little while to make sure I'm ok with the waves. I'll also make sure I have plenty of water on board to keep hydrated. I try to drink at least one bottle of water every hour when I'm fishing.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

BullHound, not to insult your intelligence but staying away from the bow/as far stern as possible helps too. More than once have seen sea sick folks go lie down towards the bow only to get increasingly sicker and always scratched my head as to why they couldn't notice the bow rocking much more than the stern.
:smt017 :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

Actually I was wondering if Drinking doesnt actually improve your chances of not getting sick, I have only gotten sick when I was not drinking. I usually crack the first one before the ride starts now if I go offshore. Any thoughts on this? Thats the only reason I like going offshore, someone else is driving while I get drunk.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

From my experience, itt's those days with less than 1 foot seas, lot's of heat and no wind that cause sea-sickness.
I've always heard that drinking does improve sea-sickness, although I never waste time drinking while I'm busy fishing.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

If the boat has a cabin, stay from below. That's usually the first thing that sets it off. I've never been sea sick in a small boat fishing, but I've been bad sick on Navy vessels as large as cities. Go figure. :(

salute2
Semper Fi
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

CSMarine wrote:I've never been sea sick in a small boat fishing, but I've been bad sick on Navy vessels as large as cities. Go figure. :(
CSMarine, at least you were at sea! I've been on multiple offshore trips without trouble and only had motion sickness in M1A1 simulators at Knox! :lol: Truth is most of us got motion sickness because of the imaging being microseconds off from the movement of the simulators -- naked eye couldn't tell but brain sure could. They warned us to advise them before yakking... I didn't let it get that far, but several tanker buddies did.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945