Ranger Cayman bimini top

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Ranger Cayman bimini top

Post by onefishtwofish »

My wife and daughter have requested a Bimini top for the Ranger. I would like to get one that
a)is easily removeable (so when I am going I can take it off)
b)fits in the cockpit area, so I can still walk around it when fishing and it will fold flat forward in between the rod lockers
c) does not require tie downs that restrict the walk around (I know it will need some kind of straps).

I have an idea in mind and could swear I have seen someone with a Redfisher or some other flats boat with a Bimini like I am looking for. If anyone has any pics of one on a flats boat, I would appreciate it. Surely someone has something like I am thinking. Google is showing lots of Rangers without biminis and lots of bimini websites, but no pics of one on a Cayman.

Thanks for any ideas.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Ranger Cayman bimini top

Post by SS-342 »

Wish I could help you but know nothing about a Ranger Cayman. However, I do know something about Bimini tops. My wife also wanted one! We bought a CS and went with a T-top instead. It works GREAT!

Seems you want an open boat. Have you thought about a large beach unbrella?

I'd trade an open boat for my wife and daughter any day! Fix um up with anything they want! They will be happy and you'll be better off.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

LOL We have been using a beach umbrella and it works okay, I just like to able to cruise around with a Bimini when scalloping. Last time we went scalloping in my skiff, we came up on a school of fish tearing it up, with not a single pole on the boat. Bet that doesn't happen again (won't be without a pole and won't see the school tearing it up when I have one :) )
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

A couple of pics of the boat including an overhead would help. If it has real low sides you will have to get the tallest one they make so you can stand under it.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

It will definitely need to be tall since I want the supports in the cockpit. I reckon I need to head down to the Ranger dealer and see if they have one with a Bimini. It can only be so tall though and fit in front of the front deck. I have seen one somewhere like that, it folded flat inside the lower area. I will break out the tape measure this weekend and see if it is even possible in this boat.
Last edited by onefishtwofish on June 12th, 2010, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Picks wont pull up.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

odd. They worked when I first did it, but now they don't. :(
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

When you say in the cockpit you mean attached to the floor of the boat? I'm afraid they dont make one that tall. But you could attach to the inside edge or the walk around. They make mounts like that.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I just looked at the boat on the ranger site. And I would use the standard mounting hardware and mount the top pivot point in line with the back of the console on the inside top edge of the walkaround(or a little forward if it will not lay down in front of the poling platform). Just measure the distance of the width inside that spot and order the top with that as the max width beam.(that way the top is not wider at full height than the base to walk around) I just helped a friend measure a similar boat and it took the tallest one in Overtons. Mounting where suggested puts the shade over the seating area and keeps the front open. Also I wound get the 8' bimini(when it's that high up you need more coverage.Image
An 8 footer on my 19' kenner. Hope this helps.