some advice for a desparate angler, nothing specific

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jehren

some advice for a desparate angler, nothing specific

Post by jehren »

Hello all. I am new to this forum, and I have lived in Tallahassee for a few years. My favorite fishing is light tackle inshore sight fishing, but really anything that allows me to catch fish i enjoy. I have been on hunting forums when people sign up to ask where and how to hunt so I realize how annoying that is.

That being said, I have fished St. Marks and Panacea for 4 years and have had limited luck. I fish once a week usually and I know what I am doing (or so I thought). I used to fish Flamingo in Everglades Natl Park growing up so I try and abide by those rules concerning habitat and tides, but I have only caught a couple Reds and some trout with limited consistency up here. I have tried different tides and times of day, but nothing seems to produce consistent fishing. I have covered a bunch of water off the lighthouse and have never had a 10+ fish day, even with 3 people on the boat.

Does anyone have some GENERAL tips on how to fish the tides, good depths, feeding patterns, or general areas? Everyone I speak with has said "off the lighthouse", but believe me I have been there numerous times and had no success. I put enough time in, but eveytime i go it turns into a desparate run around to find fish that never seems to produce. I am willing to drive to places like Keaton and St. George, but I have never been there and dont know anything about the habitat or fishery.

Some pointing in the right direction would really help. Hell, at this point I would pay someone to take my my buddy and I out and show us the ropes, anywhere in the panhandle. I just dont have 200$ for a charter.

Sorry for the long post, and I am not probing for local fishing holes. I am just desparate to enjoy this summer and catch some fish. thanks in advance
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: some advice for a desparate angler, nothing specific

Post by red_yakker »

2 hours before and 2 hours after a high tide are usually good, depending on moon, wind and strength of the tides. For schoolie trout, look for areas of different types of grass, doesn't matter what type as long as it's mixed. Also look for areas with lots of potholes in the grass. Early morning and late evening trips normally offer better results in the heat of the summer.

When you do catch a few trout, make note of the water depth and the direction of the tide. If the tides coming in, start your next drift a little bit in front of where you started the last one and vice versa. This helps keep you in the proper depth, and when it comes to filling up a cooler with trout, knowing what depths to fish is key. Really really hot, or really really cold weather sends them out deeper, the trick is to figure out what depths they prefer in between the extremes, and when you do find them, they will continue to be at that depth until the conditions change.

Also, sometimes the only way to catch 10+ keeper trout is to fish from dawn to dusk, and then, sometimes you'll fill that limit in the first hour.

It may be a good idea to use cutbait or livebait to locate fish, and then switch to artificials to refine your technique. It could be as simple as changing the way you retrieve a lure.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

A couple of miles east of the Lighthouse to "Grey Mare Rock" and from the grass line out to a half mile, is an area called the "Rock Garden". It has lots of fish and rocks! From 4'-6' of water and sometimes deeper with the water temp as high as it is now, you should find some Trout. At high tide you might want to sneak around the grass line looking for Reds. Any and all creek mouths should be explored also. There are 4 basic lures that you should get proficient with. They are 1) Spoon 2)Topwater plug 3) jig with soft plastic and 4) submerged plug (such as mirror lure or rapala) This time of year can present some problems with floating grass. Using a fluke style bait that is rigged "Texsposed" can help lots.
I hope this helps.:smt023
FF
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

This: http://earth.google.com/
and this:http://earthnc.com/earthnc-online-chart-viewer
are also good tools to do a little spreading out. Sometimes the wind or tide is not right for only two places. I would say I frequent about 6 landings and will pick based on tide, weather, amount of time I have, etc.

Another thought is a log book. We preprinted some pages and put them in a notebook and included tide, weather, water temps, etc and what we fished with and what we caught. Not only will it help you see a pattern, but it is a lot of fun looking back at the chart and recalling trips.

Not everyone tears them up everytime they go either. Don't get discouraged by reading or hearing about great trips by others, cause they ain't tellin you about the less than great trips they take. I have had some mighty fun days with less than 10 trout.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

No kidding. Much as I like to brag on my boys, 'bout every third trip we start feeling like we don't know anything about it. A lot about catching right place, right time. We also prefer 2 hrs. before and after high, but learned that mostly from shore at Bald Point. But if we never explored at low tide, even with very limited range, we'd never be able to navigate some of the areas that have been good to us, or had some of the luck that just happened to be there that day.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Good point. We had what we called a "fact finding" trip the other day. We managed a few fish, nothing stellar, but learned how to get around a new place and we found some new spots to try when the conditions are right. Marked a few on the GPS too.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

One more thought - wouldn't be right not to mention all the help we've gotten from lots of very nice people who have gone before us, and sometimes go with us, most of whom we know only through pics and posts like these. It's really cool when you bump into them at the ramp.
joeglisson

Post by joeglisson »

I've been fishing the St Marks Lighthouse area for 6 years now and often catch nothing but Ladyfish or catfish or such. Each year however, I've got a little better at learning the area so at least now I know where NOT to catch fish. I've put just enough Reds and Trout in my boat to keep me interested. I hired a guide once for an out of town visitor to fish with but I've learned more reading this forum than I learned from the guide. This is the best fishing forum I've found, the folks are real helpful. I can't tell you much compared to the others who have spoken up but I can tell you if you stay after them you will start catching them.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Yeah, a moving tide is best, incoming or outgoing. Use the slack tide periods to make your longer runs to a spot. If you don't get a bite in a few minutes, try somewhere else.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Great info all. I'm in the same boat as jehren :D When 2 hours before or after a tide is referenced, is this when I should start or end? In other words, should I go from two before high tide and stop at high tide ( or expect not to get anything at high tide). I feel dumb asking this but I'm puzzled.

I've been fishing the lighthouse area for a year. Today I'm going to fish Mashes Sands / Bald Point for the first time. Last weekend I drove to Panacea and Mashes Sands to check out the boat ramps. Panacea looks safer but I'd like to try the ramp at Mashes Sands. I've got a 24" pontoon boat. Anyone know if I could safely launch at Mashes Sands? How long is the ramp? Would I be safe launching there at low tide? Does that ramp get crowded? What's parking like?

Thanks, in advance.
The Back Porch
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WOULD NOT TRY TO LAUNCH A PONTOON AT MASHES SAND AT ANY TIDE. GETTING OUT OF THE CANAL WOULD PROBABLY NOT HAPPEN. JUST BEFORE YOU GET OUT OF THE CANAL IT NARROWS AND IS VEERY SHALLOW, DOUBT A PONTOON COULD NAVIGATE IT.
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Now, now PA. The mouth of the canal has been dredged and can easly accomadate a pontoon!! The only thing you have to worry about is backing off the ramp on a low tide :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Here is what I've learned.

--Every day is a new day.
--You have to hunt fish. Because they were there yesterday doesn't mean they are here today.
--Fishing for Spotted Trout.
----I like spotted bottoms in turtle grass.
----In large areas of turtle grass fish the edges. Always fish the dark edges.
----If you find trout in five feet of water today, fish that mostly. The next day could be different.
----I fish a popper cork in 4.5 feet of water or less.
Over 4.5 feet I try a jig and grub.
Any deapth early or late I try a plug. Even on slow times works sometimes.
Fish the back side of sand bars while waves are breaking over bar.
--When everything else fails try anything!
--Make a friend with an old experienced fisherman and go fishing with him. My older brother has taught me more than I can remember. He has forgotten more than I know.
--Use an assortment of baits. New Penny, Pearl or anything white are good starters. Glow works at times when nothing else does. Throw everything and anything.

Hope this helps.

Remember, even the BEST get skunked at times.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
jehren

Post by jehren »

All very good advice. Thank you

this one i caught off the lighthouse in 3 ft of water on a Zoom superfluke (pearl). I got lucky as it was the only fish we hooked up on, and I must have casted right on top of him b/c he smacked it hard and fast.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I have 2 recommendations.
1. buy a bigger boat.
2. stay off my holes.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?