2004 Key West 22.5 CC report

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

2004 Key West 22.5 CC report

Post by PinFishKing »

2004 Key West 22.5 Center Console, Yamaha 225 4 stroke, Trim tabs, 100 gallon fuel tank, T-Top, Hydraulic Steering, Garmin GPS 162, Lowrance LX-19C color bottom finder, Raytheon bottom finder for running, Raytheon VHF, marine AM/FM cassette radio for football games, Garmin GPS 72 hand held for backup, Qualcomm satelite phone in case it gets real bad. Tandem axle trailer with on board brake system and hose pipe connection to wash brake system out.

We pull the boat with a Ford F250 super duty diesel (which does not even realize the boat is there) and a GMC Sierra 1500 series with a 5.3 vortec V8 with a towing package. The GMC pulls it fine but the gas mileage drops significatly.

We fish out of Econfina when the tide allows but also go out of St Marks and Panacea.

Puchased from Jack's marine in Perry. Wayman is awesome. He is very patient and understanding. I have been through several boats and have never dealt with a more honest, likeable person.

Performance - NO complaints. Boat will run 40+ mph in 2 to 3 foot seas. 4 stroke gets excellent gas mileage.

Looks - awesome. Key West has always made good looking boats. I would love to post a picture but I can not figure out how......I'm open for suggestions.

2 Problems -
1. "Stainless steel " prop has rust on it. I assume this is Yamaha's problem, but I called Key West and they said take it to Wayman and they would correct it.
2. Front gigantic fish box will not hold ice very long. Again I called Key West. The engineers are working on a solution and have promised to call me back soon with a fix.

Deep sided safe boat. We were 40 miles off shore the same weekend the Valdosta boaters did not return. We ran out in 2 foot seas and were caught when the seas suddenly grew to 6 and 8 footers. We went out at 40 MPH and rode back at 12 to 14 MPH. We returned to the ramp 2 hours after dark. It was a completely dry ride. Other than running after dark, which is a little spooky, we had a safe ride back.

We converted the under console "porta potti" room to a big storage room. we use it to hold an extra cooler to store the extra ice needed because of the front fish box problem, tackle boxes, bags, etc.

The boat is washed and shined after every single trip. We are in the process of purchasing an aluminun carport for it, which by the way will also be pruchased from Wayman.

6 people can fish reasonably comfortable, but 4 people is just right.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Thanks for a GREAT report :thumbup:
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Thanks for the report.

This is about the easiest way to post pictures that I have found. Click here http://www.teamsouthbound.com/picturepr ... efault.asp follow the directions on the website to upload the picture, it will give you a "code" that you copy and paste into a post here. Speak up if you have problems....... I love boat pictures :thumbup:
Ken
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Pictures

Post by PinFishKing »

Just to give an idea of size, the truck in the picture is an F-250 Super Duty.

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Very nice :thumbup: . What kind of gas mileage are you getting?
Sea Ya !
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Mileage

Post by PinFishKing »

We consistently get 2.3 mpg.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Perfect! Good call on the boat selection. :thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

:thumbup: Very nice..
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Have seen you leave Econfina before. That is one sweet ride!