Mercury Repair and a good mechanic

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

seakeer

Mercury Repair and a good mechanic

Post by seakeer »

Three years ago, warning chimes and lights would occasionally alarm on my 150 optimax. So I first take it to a large mercury dealer/service operator just south of Tallahassee. I was advised they were backed up, and it would probably be about a month. No problem. Well two and half months went by without a call, and when I called them, I was advised that they were too busy selling new boats to look at my boat! (Why didn't they tell me that up front?) Okay, so now on my second attempt to repair it, I take it to deal/service operator on W. Tennessee Street who is no longer in business. They advise me that they really know how to fix Mercury's and there would be no problem. $258.00 later and I am back out on the water with the same problem! So now I do my research on the internet which indicates the problem is the throttle position switch. So on my third attempt to repair it, I take it to a Mercury dealer/service operator in a town south of Tallahassee and advise them what I learned from my research. No problem, they are Mercury experts. So $636.24 later and I am back out fishing and the alarms go off again! And they said it wasn't the TPS. Now onto my fourth attempt, I take it to a small repair shop south of town with a great reputation. He looks at it and attempts to fix it. He tells me he is not sure if he repaired it, and does not charge me anything. Honesty and admitting your limitations are completely respectful! Now it's been three years and I have done very little fishing. The alarms are going off more frequently, and I don't want to be stranded even though I do have Sea Tow. It is also a pain to take time off from work during the week to trailer my boat to and from a repair shop. I am looking at a new Yamaha, but they are not cheap. So on my fifth attempt, I take it to Pete at Sunshine. Pete is known as a Yamaha mechanic but I am hopeful. He advises me that he is also certified in Mercury's. I ask him to either fix it or when I pick it up, have new Yamaha on the back. Two weeks later, it is repaired, and runs better than it has in years. He repaired the throttle position sensor and a secondary fuel pump. So if anyone wants my recommendation for repair, it's Pete.

Only thing is, Pete does not work on Suzuki's, and my small jon boat motor needs repair. Any suggestions?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Mercury Repair and a good mechanic

Post by onefishtwofish »

Wow that is odd. I have a Mercury too and although I am not having any problems, the guy I was fishing with today was telling me about Pete at Sunshine.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Pete always took good care of me when I was running Mariner/Mercs. Nice guy, too!
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Ok, sounds like Pete is the man. I don't need mine repaired (yet) but I'll remember him when I do. How about Parkway Marine. I see it's a sponsor. What's its rep?
The Back Porch
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

tallykenj wrote:Ok, sounds like Pete is the man. I don't need mine repaired (yet) but I'll remember him when I do. How about Parkway Marine. I see it's a sponsor. What's its rep?
Awesome! Only place my boat goes for repair.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Parkway Marine has worked well for me. They fixed my jet-foot Mercury last year after I hit a rock in the Aucilla. Fred and Quinn are good, honest mechanics. I believe Fred may come to our next NFGFC meeting as a speaker if you want a chance to meet him.

- Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

My dealings with Parkway have been very positive as well (bought a push pole from them). Haven't had any mechanical experience but based on my purchase and the immaculate condition of the shop, I'm sure they'd do a great job. Many others here have already confirmed that.
JDS

Post by JDS »

Hey everyone, :smt006 I'm new to the site and thought this would be a good time for me to post my first post.

I have an older boat a 94, and pete has helped me out numerous times on getting hard parts for my boat. He has taken time to call me back, give advice and help problem solve without charging me. His company is called sunshine boats. Its good to finally post and hope to get out there this wekend and post more about fishing since my boat is running great! :thumbup:
Jason Stafford
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

You will not find better service than with this business, Pete and Marvin are tops
They have always done me GREAT
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :smt006
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Parkway is great too. I have used Quinn for my mud motor repairs. They are on the other end of the world for me, so I don't use them regular, but Quinn gave me service above and beyond with my ProDrive.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?