How Embarrassing

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

How Embarrassing

Post by Charles »

When you're running late in relation to when you want to be there for the tide ... So you're jammin' to the radio and take a turn a little faster than you should have, glance in the rear-view mirror and see your canoe launch off the trailer like an F/A 18 coming off the steam-cat of the USS George H. W. Bush ... And this road, which normally has very little traffic, now has what seems like 2 dozen cars coming from both directions ... So you pull over quick and run back to your boat without getting run over because everyone and their brother has stopped to gawk ... But your boat seems okay because instead of landing on the asphalt and tumbling, it landed upright on the bahai grass road shoulder and slid on it's belly ... And you look back at the trailer and realize that if you had actually used your tie-down ropes this wouldn't have happened ... And you're wondering why it didn't come off the trailer earlier, but realize it must have been held in the slip-stream of the car ... Until you made that turn.

And then you wake up from this Walter Mitty moment in time, and realize that you blew right past the convenience store where you wanted to stop for ice and Snickers bars. :oops:
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: How Embarrassing

Post by SS-342 »

Charles, I understand!

Trip before last to Keaton, I didn't put the plug in and the lift man didn't check. Once in the water my arm wasn't long enough to reach the hole. Had to be pulled out while EVERYONE in line watched and snickered.

My neighbor has a saying that would apply to your and my situation, "Dog, don't believe I'd had told that!" :smt010 :smt005 :smt011
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I hate it when stuff like that happens. My first boat after putting it on the trailer, I forgot to attach the tie downs. Seeing a break in traffic just big enough to let me in, I accelerated a little aggressively and looked in the rear view to see my boat slide off the trailer and land in the middle of the intersection. It seems the bow eye hook was around the eye and not through it when I winched up the boat and the bounce of the boat and trailer coming out of the water was enough to let the hook slip off.
It is nice that there are some nice folks that will help to pick up a boat and carry it onto a trailer in the middle of traffic instead of honking and laughing like the rest of the population.
FF
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

When I was a teenager, I did not have first rate help in any sort of mechanical instruction (not that I would have paid attention anyways). So, one time I put the lugs on backwards after changing a tire.

Later that night, about 100 miles later while I was headed eastbound, I watched as this awesome new shower of sparks eminated from behind my truck and then I watched the driver's side rear tire and wheel pass me in the front. This wheel and tire continued at 60 mph until it took the bumper off of a station wagon headed westbound.

AAA sent me a tow truck driver who tried hitting on my future wife while I was in the adjacent field hunting for the missing brake rotor that had caused the awesome shower of sparks (and dug a half inch groove in the road that was approx. 400 yards in length).

So, I guess I can relate because I learned a lot about embarrasment that night. And, I learned that the awful, loud, constant noise from the back of the truck that caused the whole thing to vibrate was indeed a loose wheel.
Work 'em silly Gators!!
bman

Post by bman »

Glad it was ok Charles!
Did that with my Yak at least twice. Both times I had come off the water late and tired.
Once forget the strap all together and it just slid off the road.
Second time one side caught and I drug it a little.

Can't kill those plastic boats!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

U-uhm; this:
Charles wrote:And then you wake up from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty moment in time, ...
refers too all above being a daydream. I didn't really lose the boat. But that daydream caused the real moment when I realized that I
Charles wrote: ... blew right past the convenience store where you wanted to stop for ice and Snickers bars. :oops:
Sorry 'bout the mix up. :oops:

By the way, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber is an excellent story. :thumbup:
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

bman wrote:Glad it was ok Charles!
Did that with my Yak at least twice. Both times I had come off the water late and tired.
Once forget the strap all together and it just slid off the road.
Second time one side caught and I drug it a little.

Can't kill those plastic boats!
Is that counting or not counting your yak went bouncing down a Georgia patch of asphalt during duck season?