July 23 - 24 Econfina Report -- A Blessed Weekend

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

July 23 - 24 Econfina Report -- A Blessed Weekend

Post by big bend gyrene »

Little bro is a Baptist preacher in Indiana, but grew up in the south, attended FSU, and absolutely loves fishing. Been years since he last visited but a month or so ago he called and said he wanted to come down for a trip out. Warned him that the oil might reach us within the month, but the day after I spoke to him it started heading West. Made me wonder if he prayed for the change. :-)

This weekend finally arrives and we head out of Econfina on Friday.
0001.JPG
0001.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
Was a bit worried the weather wouldn't cooperate but again, he must have prayed in advance. :thumbup:
0002.JPG
0002.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
Head out to catch some pins for a bit of offshore fishing, and he gets the skunk off the boat with one of his first casts.
0003.JPG
0003.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3945 times
As we pull up to our first offshore spot, the water is brewing with multiple football field-sized bait balls being slammed by mackerel, jacks, and blues!
0004.JPG
0004.JPG (508.76 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Lost count on how many we caught, but after 30 minutes or so of non-stop action we remembered we had pins and made a quick move to our next spot. Within minutes of dropping baits down, my brother has a short cobe on the hook and it's got a bigger buddy with it. We briefly have a double before the larger cobe spits the pin. Quickly tag and released the baby cobe.
0005.JPG
0005.JPG (371.24 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Just a few more minutes, and I've got a beast on the line. Wear him out and wrestle him into the boat and have little bro pose with it.
0006.JPG
0006.JPG (328.72 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Little bro then hooks his own nice one. With the freezer at home already well stocked with cobia, we tag and release the pretty keeper.
0007.JPG
0007.JPG (394.25 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
All this excitement and it's still the morning! :-D

Wondering how the day can get any better, my brother hollers at me to look down in the water and we watch as a flotilla of at least 60 spotted eagle rays cruise under the boat with a few cobia tagging along. So amazing a sight we actually didn't even think to cast at the cobes as we stared at the rays with wonder.

Wait the lunchtime slack out and start picking up schooling macks again. While releasing one of the macks, I actually see a goliath grouper come up within 6 feet of the surface to take the mack in a single gulp! :o Not having a lick of sense, the next mack I hook I purposely let it flounder about 6 feet under the boat and WAM, BAM, THANK YOU MAM it's on like donkey kong! :lol: Actually did give him a good fight but after a couple of minutes of being darn near pulled out of the boat, he finds enough structure to cut me off. Hot as blue blazes by this time so I was somewhat relieved. :-D

After the goliath we call it a day.

Day 2 report was a complete different experience. Headed out to 10' waters to pick up bait and it was so rough we gave up on heading offshore. We decide reds are in order to complete a Big Bend slam, so we hit some Econ bars and seal the deal. :thumbup:
0008.JPG
0008.JPG (466.05 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Off the water by lunchtime and get my brother to the airport in time for him to get back to his church service tomorrow.

Great, GREAT weekend! Brother didn't even have to preach while we were out, as we got to witness God's amazing creations the entire time we were out on the water!
salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Re: July 23 - 24 Econfina Report -- A Blessed Weekend

Post by rammerjammer »

nice report and pics//great family time.....
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:
bman

Post by bman »

Awesome report and great trip with your bro...
You told him its always like that right :wink:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sounds like you had some divine intervention there, BBG. Way to put your bro on the fish!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Big Bend Gyrene:

As I've said before, my wife and I fished all day Friday the 23 and got skunked. I saw your hasty, short report and wondered!

Now I know....when will your little brother be back home? Think we could pay him to fish with us?

Serously, my hat is tipped to ya...you know your stuff!

You are a good writer as well!

Dog, maybe......I need to invite my preacher out fishing?

Thanks for that good report.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Reel Navy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Navy »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Great report BBG! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dear Lord, please let me be the kind of person my dog thought I was .....
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

God blessed the weekend for sure. :smt038 I bet today's sermon was about loaves and fishes. :smt083
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

bman wrote:Awesome report and great trip with your bro...
You told him its always like that right :wink:
Bman, he's been out a number of times with me so knows that's not quite the truth. He does bring blessed trips though! He's caught a 25 pound cobia on board Marine's Dream before, we had a double digit red day years ago (and yes, on gold spoon :-D), and he was with me one Thanksgiving when the morning was short sleeve weather but a cold front hit in the afternoon dropping temps down to near freezing, it started raining, and we suffered miserable conditions becaust trout were stacked up outside the Econ mouth and wouldn't stop biting. :lol:

SS-342, no need to pay him! We share the "go fishing whenever we possibly can" gene, so no bribe necessary. And definitely might want to offer your preacher a trip out too... if nothing else we can gather more data on the "blessing" theory! :thumbup:

And Harmsway, say again, you shouldn't cry over missing out on Saturday. Look closely at the pics and you'll see it was rougher 30 feet off the grass on Saturday than it was 20 miles offshore Friday! :smt103
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
doggymcnuggets

Post by doggymcnuggets »

I'm the preaching brother, great report BBG! Thanks much for about the best day of fishing I've ever had - double digit mackerels and numerous cobia, jacks, blues, and a couple of reds & a seatrout to boot! Not to mention enjoying the sea turtle, jumping rays, and fleet of swimming rays that passed by... I did indeed pray hard on my way down from IN that we'd catch some fish. Jesus filled the disciples' nets so I figure putting us on some fish was no big deal for Him!
Regards to all the Big Bend fishermen (and women), no place I'd rather get my fish on!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job to both of you. :thumbup: Never hurts ta have a preacher in the boat. doggy... if your ever in the neighbor hood and don't mind climbing in the boat with a couple of heathens let me know.. JT51 and Butch are interested. :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

sounds like a good time!! always great to get the family together and enjoy God's glory!
850-273-8818
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Great after action report Devil Dog. :thumbup: :thumbup:

salute2
Semper Fi
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

doggymcnuggets:

Please, let me check this out!

You by chance wouldn't be a Baptist preacher, would you?

If my church ever needs another preacher, I'll drop your name in the hat.

It would be nice to have a preacher that can fish!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CONGRATULATIONS, LOOKS LIKE Y'ALL HAD A BALL.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 salute2 SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO