Home Again-August 3-Lighthouse

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LucWilliams

Home Again-August 3-Lighthouse

Post by LucWilliams »

Hello all,

Just got back from my team cruise and I was ready to hit our local waters again. Very happy to know that our area is still fishable and no oil problems yet. I had good fishing reports within 5 minutes of stepping off the cruise ship so I was ready to get home. Loaded up at 5:30 this morning with my two friends, John Reddick and David Lluberas. We headed to the lighthouse, loaded up on bait in the canal. I was only able to get about 8 finger mullet in the castnet, but I got a countless number of another kind of baitfish(what i thought was possibly LY's) in one cast. They went into the makeshift livewell and we headed for the spot. When we got to the spot, most of the LY's, or whatever they were, had died. I wasn't happy about this but the fish didn't seem to mind it too much. On their first cast of the day, John and David are both hooked up. They have good fish because the fish are circling the boat and making two very unexperienced anglers dance around the boat, and they are struggling to deal with this. Eventually David breaks off without us seeing the fish, bad start for him. John continues to fight his fish and eventually lands it, good red. It measures 25 inches and we put it into the cooler. I am next to hookup and I know it is a good fish. After a few circles around the boat I land the fish, 31 inch red. Now me and John are happy and David is probably thinking what the hell is my problem? We start seeing lots of activity on top of the water in our spot and I know what this means, sharks are moving in. I give a long talk to my friends on how they should fight a fish if they hookup in order to keep the sharks off their fish. We have a few hookups with huge blowups at the surface before we can even get a glimpse of the fish, and the sharks are breaking us off as soon as we hook fish. This goes on for a while and then David finally lands a 18 inch spanish. He is really fired up now because he has finally landed a fish he can eat. We go and stock back up on bait, and we catch some pretty large pinfish. We cut them up and start fishing with them, more breakoffs and missed fish come. Things are going downhill and it feels like it is about 200 degrees even though it is only 10 in the morning. David hooks up with another good fish but it breaks him off. Finally, I hook up with a good fish using the cut pinfish. My fish is coming to the surface so I am excited to see what it is. The redfish on the end of my line jumps up into the air. I know what this means, since I have only ever seen redfish jump when they are about to be eaten by sharks. I flip my bail over and let the redfish run, hoping that he will be able to escape the shark. I keep my line semi tight but i make sure not to put pressure on the fish. When i tighten up, it feels like I just have the redfish on still. I begin to bring it in, hoping that I will get a full redfish and not just a head or half of a fish. The fish comes in very easily as if it is very shaken up. It is a full fish still, so I am happy. We measure the fish and it is 29 inches. I am really scared about letting this fish go because I know I have to revive it, but I would like to keep my hands. The fish doesn't take long to start kicking again and swims free. It is really heating up and we run out of bait, so we head to the ramp. We were off the water by about 11 30. Great day on the water. Going again in the morning.

Falcon

Re: Home Again-August 3-Lighthouse

Post by Falcon »

HI - sounds like a nice morning.

Any specifics you care to share? Water Depth? East ? West? I plan on taking my kids in the morning and, after many years off the flats, my fish finding skills are sure to be rusty.

Thanks,

Scott
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

We were west of the lighthouse. Plenty of bait in all depths on the flats, you should be able to find them.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Solid report and dayum nice reds. :thumbup: Per Bman's recent post, just guessing you attribute your success to your lucky pants... :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Haha those shorts have been good to me, you just figured out the reason that I still wear them.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Nice report and fish. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Very nice fish and luck. :). Good pics, too.
The Back Porch