St. Marks 8/7

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

juan sapatos

St. Marks 8/7

Post by juan sapatos »

Fished Saturday morning. Step 1: castnet 2 dozen or so finger mullet. Plan A was to work the rising tide around oyster bars for redfish then Plan B, go deep and look for Spanish. Plan A worked except the takers were trout . 3 keepers, 2 over 20 inches (two anglers). 2 trout were caught on a suspending plug, one on a live mullet. No redfish. After an hour or so we ran to about 8-10 feet and right on cue found a pod tearing it up on top. Kept three Spanish. Blue fish and skipjacks mixed in along with a 5 foot bull shark. Off the water before 12:30. Big fun.
Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 8/7

Post by Sir reel »

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the repot.

If you don't mind sharing, how do you rig the live finger mullet when fishing around the bars? Egg sinker with leader, free lined, under a float, etc.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
juan sapatos

Post by juan sapatos »

I was using a weighted hook that is designed to rig a soft-bait weedless. Sort of like a very light (1/32, Ithink) jig head. I don't think the baits were getting very deep, though which may explain why we got trout and not redfish.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks.

hook'n em through the tail, dorsal, nose,??
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
juan sapatos

Post by juan sapatos »

I always hook mullet through the lower jaw and nose. They stay alive a long time that way and you can work them a little bit. It is easy to throw them off though.