Atlantic Coast Forum

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Atlantic Coast Forum

Post by red_yakker »

Does anyone know of a good fishing forum (similar to this one) that focuses on the East Coast around the Mosquito Lagoon area. I have a buddy that just moved over to New Smyrna. We've found several good looking places to launch kayaks and maybe do a little wade-fishing, but he could probably use a little local insight to shorten the learning curve on a new area. I want him to know where to take me to find those famous monster sized mosquito lagoon trout before I make my way over there for a weekend fishing trip. Thanks.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Atlantic Coast Forum

Post by Reel Cowboy »

inshore-fishing is a pretty good one but not the easily offended

just make sure your first post is trying to sell something.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

Hey RYakker...I have been a memeber here for along time, I just dont log in much. I moved to Orlando about three years ago. I fish mosquito lagoon a lot. Here's what I can tell you. The Goon has a huge population of breeder sized reds. This time of year they school up in the very big groups. I have caught several 40" reds, and a few 29-31" trout.
As far as an area to fish. If you look at a map you'll see a large open area of the Goon. Just to the north you'll see a long Bar..this is called George's bar. North of that area there are tons of flats. I fish these flats most often. The best way to reach these flats is from the canaveral seashore. It's a federal park. From New Symnra (My Buddy Ryan Harris lives there) we travel up to Hwy 44, then across the goon (bridge) then 44 turns south. You take that road all the way till you hit the park. If you just ask a Local where JB's Fish Camp is they will all be able to tell you. Then once in the park go down a bunch of parkign lots and find a place to launch. There will be several parklots for you to choose from. Bring something weedless, and some top water. Natural looking baits work best here. In the goon you can fish top water all day lone, this is the only place I'ce ever been able to do that. Also there are tons of folks, so crack of dawn is best if fishing on the weekend...buy 9:30-10:00 so many folks are motoring around the fish get spooked. Find a good flat and drift it lookign for tails, signs, and blind casting. I see more tails in the air here than anyother place I have ever fished. Like most places in the winter the fish get holded up. So with some many people fishing the area I suggest you not try and reinvent the wheel and bring along some cut mullet and a circle hook and find a deeper area. Find a good area and leave it on the bottom for the reds to find. All of the 28" trout I have caught in the Goon have been on cut mullet.
One of the greatest things in this life is to know yourself.
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

One last thing if you have more specifc questions just leave a reply here or start a tread Asking for DuckTapeKing...That way I'll see it since I dont log in much. You can also fish, Halover canal, Big red, Big Drum, great shrimping, and everything else that swims. But it is a canal and can get crowded. Also an area called "The Whales Tail". Both of these areas are south of Georges bar and worth a look. FYI Indain River Lagoon is great too..but I have never fished it. Also I dont know of a great forum like this down here...it's hard to find good help these days!!!!! Be ready for how dunks to ride up on you..doesn't happen all the time but often enough to get you pissed!!!!!!
One of the greatest things in this life is to know yourself.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

DuctTapeKing, Thanks :thumbup: . Wow, that's even better info than I expected. Although I've caught several 26" trout in my day, I've never caught one over 26" and I've never caught an over-slot red, so,......I'm looking forward to learning the new area!
Thanks again.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb