God bless PA & our GREATEST generation

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

God bless PA & our GREATEST generation

Post by big bend gyrene »

Pa, many of our younger generations haven't learned the lessons WW2 taught your's -- the greatest generation. But lest you think all of us are blind to the sacrifices that you and millions of others made, please know that those of us willing to research history have a hint at the sacrifices made.

Today we cry that we should give in to radical muslims because a few thousand servicemen die in battle, but your generation witnessed 60,000,000 citizens of the world sacrificed due to the actions of but a few powerful evil leaders, with nearly 500,000 of those dying American servicemen who wouldn't give up until the evil leaders were killed.
Somehow a salute doesn't seem adequate, but it's the best this board has to offer. salute3

For anyone so inclined, I highly recommend a read of Laura Hillenbrand's latest book, "Unbroken". It's the life story of olympic athlete and Japanese POW survivor Louis Zamperini. It's a remarkable read and anyone who buys it and doesn't appreciate it, let me know and I'll cover the cost of the book.
BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: God bless PA & our GREATEST generation

Post by Harmsway »

Yeah, my hat's off to the greatest generation, too. :smt006 Miss you, Sarge (I mean, Dad) . . . :smt049 :smt010
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THANKS BBG, I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT.
PA JUST THE OLD MAN SEMPER FI salute2 salute2
FUTCHCAIRO
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Thanks for initiating this post BBG. :thumbup:

Thanks PA and all those who served during this challenging time. I'm in awe of your commitment and contributions to this Country. salute3

Semper Fi!
"Plan for the worst."
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

PA,
Marine to Marine. I know what you did. Every Marine that has come after you knows what you did. You are our hero. Your fight in the islands taught the rest of us the true meaning of what it is to be called Marine.

Semper Fi, Sir

salute2
th_marinesCAE2JBWQ.jpg
th_marinesCAE2JBWQ.jpg (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
Semper Fi
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

PA, knew you fought in the Pacific but had to search the old posts to re-discover that you flew. Zamperini was in the Army Air Corps but like you flew in the Pacific. The book details several extremely close calls he had while serving in B-24 bombers, eventually having one go into the drink. He was a POW at Ofuna at the same time Pappy Boyington was a POW. Guessing the book may hit too close to home for you to wish to read, but will say that for any of us who didn't serve during that time it will sure give more of an appreciation of the TREMENDOUS risks you had to take while flying the F4Us and TBMs.

No way we can repay you for your service, but I think every one of us board members ought to give you complimentary trips out on the gulf when you get the slightest whim to go! I get the chance to this coming year, really will be HONORED to have you aboard Marine's Dream!!! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BBG, MAN I WOULD CONSIDER IT AN HONOR TO BE YOU DECK HAND WHEN THIS WEATHER WARMS UP A LITTLE, I HAVE TO MAKE A TRIP DOWN TO BRAZIL BEFORE CHRISTMAS, AFTER THE NEW YEARS CELEBRATIONS HAVE CALMED DOWN I WOULD BE HONORED TO MAKE A TRIP ON THE MARINE'S DREAM.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA SEMPER FI salute2 salute2
FUTCHCAIRO
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Let me join in this thanksgiving post. My father, also a member of that great generation has gone on, but to PA and all those who survive, I salute you and your service to freedom.

It really bugs the crap out of me that we went from the generation of courage and resolve in the 1930's to now just 80 years later forsaking it all in the name of political correctness.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Thanks to Pa (World War II Marine - that's all you need to say!) and all of the Greatest Generation, including my father-in-law who served in the Pacific in submarines and my uncle who served in LSTs in the Pacific.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

A heart felt thanks to all who have served and especially to those who gave their lives for our freedom salute3

This is my dad from 1942 "he is at peace now" salute2
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

My dad also served but as a gun safety control officer in the Army while he has passed on his legacy lives and the story is retold often. You had better double check your numbers before firing. He allowed his trainees at Fort Sills to lob several shells into downtown Lawton Oklahoma. He arrived safely back home within a month.

I have a Pastor friends son the will be commisioned in the USMC in a few days as a 1st Lt. I have encouraged him to understand there are men that he will serve with that if he listens to them will keep him alive or if he doesn't that he will get them killed. He is a fine young man and will make an outstanding Marine Officer.

I do appreciate the sacrafice you made Pa and the ones made by folks like you. I also know that the servicemen and women today are doing thier best to make us proud.

As a Jarhead I will gladly come along bait his hook swab the poop deck net his fish and push him overboard if he catches one bigger than mine if you like BBG!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

My father in 1942.
frank.jpg
frank.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
salute2
Semper Fi
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

What a mess wrote:My dad also served but as a gun safety control officer in the Army while he has passed on his legacy lives and the story is retold often. You had better double check your numbers before firing. He allowed his trainees at Fort Sills to lob several shells into downtown Lawton Oklahoma. He arrived safely back home within a month.
I'm retired Army and was stationed at Fort Sill for several years after returning from Nam....I rememeber that...I wasn't there when it happened, but the story was still being told.

Salute... to all the past and present Jarheads, Swabies, Air Farce, and grunts.... (and I say that lovingly) salute2
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We were another nation and people then but I think if "push come to shove", we could do it again. Taking nothing away from the "greatest generation on earth", we still have a lot of awesome young folks coming along.

I salute both!

Thank you, Pa, for you service.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

AWESOME THREAD! God bless our military!
Team Jolly Mon