Lake Wimico Trip (Photo Intensive)

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Lake Wimico Trip (Photo Intensive)

Post by Fighting Conch »

On a winter day I launched up the river at a Franklin County ramp at the end of Bluff Road and boated to Lake Wimico then back to Apalachicola and return. It was a glorious experience gliding across the smooth waters surrounded by wilderness swamp forest.
Wimico Trip.jpg
Wimico Trip.jpg (91.75 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
The ramp is excellent: good surface, double-loaded, plenty of safe looking parking and boating in fresh water sure saves on the work.
Boat Ramp.jpg
Boat Ramp.jpg (113.17 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
Some pictures as I headed north on the Apalachicola River and then veered to the west on the Jackson River.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
Must be bad deer flies in the summer!
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
The Lake.jpg
The Lake.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
Lake Wimico itself is very long and wide and outside the channel quite shallow. Lots of water weeds by the edges.
IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
Saw a barge heading west.
Barge.jpg
Barge.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
Heading back south to Apalachicola.
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
What a town!
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
IMG_0067.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 8266 times
bman

Re: Lake Wimico Trip (Photo Intensive)

Post by bman »

That looks like a fun trip!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Did you see any ducks?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

That is a beautiful area.

About a mile below the ramp you launched from is "Four Tree Cut". This takes you to The Little St. Marks River. From there you can venture to The St. Marks, East River, Chipley Creek, Sam's Cutoff, and many more backwater areas. You can roam for miles and miles in this area.

You can fish for fresh or salt species in this area. I've caught bass, trout, reds, and flounder, all in the same place. One of my favorite places to fish. In fact, I'm headed there tomorrow......for three days.
What was I supposed to do today?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice trip, Skag. Thanks for sharing.

tin can wrote:That is a beautiful area.

About a mile below the ramp you launched from is "Four Tree Cut". This takes you to The Little St. Marks River. From there you can venture to The St. Marks, East River, Chipley Creek, Sam's Cutoff, and many more backwater areas. You can roam for miles and miles in this area.

You can fish for fresh or salt species in this area. I've caught bass, trout, reds, and flounder, all in the same place. One of my favorite places to fish. In fact, I'm headed there tomorrow......for three days.
It is a beautiful and fishy area. But who was the unimaginative soul who named the St. Marks after another river less than 100 miles away? Never could figure that one out.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

certainly a beautiful area. I made the run from Eagle Harbor to Apalach and back one day. Drank about 4" of water on the way there and had to wait for lightning to leave the area to gas up before returning. Despite the rain it was an awesome day with my wife, 'rents and our dogs :D As it started to rain a bass boat took off in front of us and hoped on plane, my mom asked why I wasn't following. I proceeded to explain that my 90 Yammy can't run with a 250, we were in fact following.

TC-I'm disappointed you would head fishing for 3 days and not invite me. Rumor has it that you've caught a decent fish or two recently. ;-)
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Lake Wimico is a great lake to fish, been fishing there since I was a kid. Spring and Summer are very good months for the Handpainted Bream with grickets or the fresh water shrimp from the lake itself.

Like Tincan said, travel through the "Four Tree Cutoff" all of the rivers hold trout and redfish during the winter. Also while in Scipio Creek check it out for the trout and redfish as well. I have caught them from hill from time to time.

If I were to ever build a Dream House it would be in Apalachicola, I love fishing that river system. :beer:
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Ty one on wrote: Also while in Scipio Creek check it out for the trout and redfish as well. I have caught them from hill from time to time.
Ty, when did you last fish Scipio Creek? As of last September all the grass in Scipio was still gone.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
TC-I'm disappointed you would head fishing for 3 days and not invite me. Rumor has it that you've caught a decent fish or two recently. ;-)
You wanna join a bass club? :lol: :wink:

Who's been spreading rumors? I don't know if I know how to catch a fish any more.
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

tin can wrote:
Ty one on wrote: Also while in Scipio Creek check it out for the trout and redfish as well. I have caught them from hill from time to time.
Ty, when did you last fish Scipio Creek? As of last September all the grass in Scipio was still gone.

Tincan...It has been a few years.....but we would fish from the Shrimp Boat basin to the mouth, mainly near the basin.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.