Winter trout river fishing?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Winter trout river fishing?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Any tips or dangers you willing to tell me for the Wakulla and St. Marks rivers? Gonna try it this coming saturday. Want to put my son on a few fish. Thanks. :-D Any area,tide stage or weather to avoid?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Winter trout river fishing?

Post by silverking »

Deep holes on moving tides. You're pretty protected up the St. Marks. Wakulla is more open in places and shallower. Watch out for submerged logs close to the shore.

Fish jigs or shrimp slowly on light tackle. For bigger fish, use bigger baits like suspending twitch plugs. Did I mention fish slow?
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

St.Marks river Don't go north of hwy 98 bridge ROCK'S on every turn in the river. Below the bridge you just have to keep an eye out for logs. Low tide at the fort can cause problems getting the trailer out if you drop off the end of the ramp. Wakulla Grass and shallow few logs stay in the channel .
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Thanks guys. Can you anchor with a fluke style anchor and chain without losing it? :-D
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yes on anchoring. Mostly grass and mud bottom. There are a few limbs, but if you set up near the bank and cast into the channel you should be fine. I also use my Stick-It Anchor Pin and it holds well even in the current.
The David
Site Sponsor

Post by The David »

I am fairly new to fishing in the Tallahassee area as well, and have had fairly decent luck up the rivers since the weather has turned cold.

When fishing for trout/redfish, we have found pretty much any grub/shad soft plastics on an 1/8 ounce jig have been working well. Suspending twitch baits will also trigger a few bites. In my experience the fish have been pretty deep, so letting that jig sink has been the key. Just cruise the river looking for points, coves, etc. places where the current breaks giving the fish a chance to eat. Also look for the mullet. Some days we pull out a trout on every cast, and the next day same spot, nothing. It is a bit frustrating at times, but all part of paying your dues to the fish gods. In regards to the weather, the wind is not as big of a factor up the rivers as it is on the flats or offshore thanks to the narrowness of the river. That being said, I doubt you will have a great day fishing in 25mph winds, so just like always, take a look at the weather forecast before heading out.

Basically the best advice I could give, or follow for that matter is to get out there and fish! Getting skunked at times is all part of it. Hope I could help!
Let's go!!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

The David wrote:I am fairly new to fishing in the Tallahassee area as well, and have had fairly decent luck up the rivers since the weather has turned cold.

When fishing for trout/redfish, we have found pretty much any grub/shad soft plastics on an 1/8 ounce jig have been working well. Suspending twitch baits will also trigger a few bites. In my experience the fish have been pretty deep, so letting that jig sink has been the key. Just cruise the river looking for points, coves, etc. places where the current breaks giving the fish a chance to eat. Also look for the mullet. Some days we pull out a trout on every cast, and the next day same spot, nothing. It is a bit frustrating at times, but all part of paying your dues to the fish gods. In regards to the weather, the wind is not as big of a factor up the rivers as it is on the flats or offshore thanks to the narrowness of the river. That being said, I doubt you will have a great day fishing in 25mph winds, so just like always, take a look at the weather forecast before heading out.

Basically the best advice I could give, or follow for that matter is to get out there and fish! Getting skunked at times is all part of it. Hope I could help!
Thanks. And welcome to the friendly site where you dont get attitude you get answers to questions. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:Yes on anchoring. Mostly grass and mud bottom. There are a few limbs, but if you set up near the bank and cast into the channel you should be fine. I also use my Stick-It Anchor Pin and it holds well even in the current.
Thanks Silver king. Anyone fishing raise me on 14 if your down sat.