Rod/Reel help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

The David
Site Sponsor

Rod/Reel help

Post by The David »

So I am looking to get a new setup. Mostly for inshore/flats etc. I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg but you get what you pay for, so I am looking to get a good rod and reel for under 200 bucks. I have been looking at the new "Penn Fierce" as well as some similarly priced reels in the 50-75 dollar range. Does anyone use the Fierce or heard any reviews on it? Just looking for some input.

When it comes to a rod, I am looking into maybe just getting the "Ugly Stik Lite" or maybe the "Shimano Teramar". What do you guys think?
Let's go!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Rod/Reel help

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I can't help you,I fish baitcaster only.
No sissie reels for me.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
The David
Site Sponsor

Post by The David »

Sissie reels FTW!!!!

Haha, you just like the control of the baitcaster? Ive never gotten the hang of those darn things.
Let's go!!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The Teramar is a good rod. I have two of them and have been satisfied so far. I would like them to be a little lighter, but a good bang for the buck. While on the subject of Shimano, it is the only reel I will use. I neglected a reel some years ago and it caused a failure. That is the only failure of a Shimano I have ever experienced. Because of that I am sold. I would suggest a Stradic 2500 or 3000 Ci4. Light, strong, smooth, durable and long casting. What else could you ask for.
By the way, I heard Kevin's is having a customer appreciation sale this weekend which would enable you to pick up a new combo with a 10% discount.
FF salute1
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Go custom
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I can recommend both Matthew's custom rods and the Shimano Teramars, but for your price range, a Teramar ML 7-foot rod and the Shimano Symetre 2500 or 3000 will be a very capable and quality outfit for most flats applications. It should be a little less than $200 and as Fishinfool pointed out, if you shop at Kevin's tomorrow or Sunday, you'll save even more.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

:stupid_1
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

I've got 7 or 8 Okuma Epixor EB30 reels on Okuma Solaris or Marsh Master 7'-6' Med/Heavy Action rods, 2 are 7'ers that the wife uses. I have had some of them for 5-6 years without the first problem. I used to use penn reels, but bought one of these on sale to see if the would stand up to salt water and they are awesome rod/reel combos. The Marsh Master and Okuma rods and reels were bought at Advantage Marine before they closed. I'm not sure where to get the Marsh Master rods anymore, but the Okuma rods should be able to be bought where ever the reels are. The entire setup if I remember costs about $160-170 maybe a little more. That is pretty cost effective for a awesome rig. I've caught a lot of fish on these the last few years with zero problems. Hope this helps.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Sun Daze,
You can get just about all the Marsh Master rods you want @ So. GA Outdoors
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
The David
Site Sponsor

Post by The David »

Reel Cowboy wrote:Go custom
Ive been waiting for you to throw your hat into the ring! PM me with some more info :thumbup:
Let's go!!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I have a couple of these and love em, and you can't beat this sale.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... googlebase
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
The David
Site Sponsor

Post by The David »

red_yakker wrote:I have a couple of these and love em, and you can't beat this sale.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... googlebase
Those look pretty cool, great price too! Thanks for all the insight guys, I really appreciate it.
Let's go!!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

personal opinion, but I would avoid Penn. You can put a Stradic on a 7'6"Shimano Clarus for under 2 bills. If you want to go with a cheaper shimano reel then you can probably create the combo for 50 bucks cheaper than the combo above.

Don't pay JT any mind, none of the rest of us do. :wink: He spends all day undoing backlashes and never catches fish.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Stay away from Penn. Ever since they stopped being produced in the US, quality has gone down hill. Why do a lot of those saltwater shows promote them? Because they get a new one every time they break, without a single complaint.

Shimano is the way to go for what you're looking for. I'm a quantum man myself; except for the new Ci4. so light. so pretty. so smooth

Before you buy, hit up SportsAuthority, BassPro, and especially Kevins to get a feel for various rod and reel combos. Find something that balances well and matches even better.

They crew at Kevins can't be beat in terms of their customer care and support through knowledge.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Hotpins300

Post by Hotpins300 »

Get a Daiwa procaster...best bang for the buck