Boat naming question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Boat naming question

Post by onefishtwofish »

This is for everyone, but especially for the former Navy men (and women). It may seem silly, but bear me out.

I have been searching for names for my boat (19' Ranger flats boat) and have just not hit on the right one like my old Carolina Skiff (my screen name). I have been searching for a play on the word Helm as that is nautical and also my last name. In my research, I came upon a ship I had never heard of, the USS Helm. It was named after Admiral James Helm (my father's name-without the Admiral). I searched my family tree as well as his and it appears we are no relation, I took his back to Revolution, mine back to 1600s. My son is a history major trying to be a history teacher with his major area of interest WWII, so there is a connection there.

The USS Helm was the only ship at sail from Pearl harbor at the time of the attack, it was damaged but not sunk and went on to serve the entire war, later decommissioned after the war and sank in bomb testing.

Would it be poor form to name my boat "USS Helm"? Would any Navy veterans find this in poor taste rather than an homage? I really don't care what folks think of my boat name, but would not want it to be offensive to the men and women that have served our country.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat naming question

Post by onefishtwofish »

PS "Takes the Helm" is my next leading candidate, but I am not in love with that one. My staff want me to name it Knot on Call.
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

IF you have a job where your on call some of the time I would go with the staff . Knot on Call .
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

My first thought was a pun involving helmet. You probably heard enough of that in grade school to last you 2 lifetimes. As far as naming your boat the USS anything, you might want to check with the Department of the Navy. I believe they have a monopoly on that particular title.USS(United States Ship) refers to a U.S. warship. You may, however want to name it the M.V. Helm, in honor of the warship. M.V. refers to motor vessel.
JM.02
FF salute1
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Being the size it is, maybe call it the Admiral's Launch :-D but I doubt that anyone would take offense to nameing it the USS HELM :thumbup: if it was a ship, instead of a boat, that would be a different matter all together :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I agree with the M/V Helm, if you decide to go that route. The PS Takes the Helm is catchy. The Knot On Call is also a good one (although I have seen that one before, but who cares, if it fits, name it that and enjoy).

How about "Come Helm Or High Water" or just "Helm Or High Water". They have your name sake in them as well as a nautical reference. If you go strictly with "Helm Or High Water" you get the added bonus of having "H2O" in the name as well (Clever right ;-) ). Good luck with your boat naming.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

If your like most of the worthy sea men I know, you could utilize my screen name. however, Its already taken!!! :-D
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:If your like most of the worthy sea men I know, you could utilize my screen name. however, Its already taken!!! :-D
This from someone who seems to have quit fishing. :roll:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

S.S. Helm would be acceptable to CG and USN.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

"GIVE EM HELM" ?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Jumptrout51 wrote:S.S. Helm would be acceptable to CG and USN.

As a former sailor, I like this option.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

reelbad wrote:"GIVE EM HELM" ?
:stupid_1
Or maybe "What? The Helm"? :lol:
Last edited by Harmsway on February 13th, 2011, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Harmsway wrote:
reelbad wrote:"GIVE EM HELM" ?
:stupid_1
x2 or maybe AT THE HELM...
Stay Thirsty My Friends
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Okay, right now SS Helm and Takes the Helm are leading.

Also, a nautical term that I like the sound of for two reasons:

Slack Helm

From what I read, if federally registered (ie name) USS would be a no-no. But since MV are not registered by name if state registered, it is not illegal. I just don't want to be offensive, and SS would solve that.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

PS thanks for the ideas