Trim Tab anodes

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishsticks
Site Sponsor

Trim Tab anodes

Post by fishsticks »

Have a question, I have twin Yamaha 90's with trim tab anodes. Boat was in Shields and when I got it back years later it seems I was missing one. The cap was still there as well as the bolt. I have had it out 2x and just noticed it gone, either they forgot to put back on or it wore off or something. The other was still at 60%, so I just replaced them both. The question finally, which way should I trim them or do they make that big of a difference. Both motors spin to the right, the port motor that still had one was trimmed to the right if you standing behind the motor looking at it. I read online that if your motor spins to the right to trim the tab to the left. Both motors were serviced and then some, so I know they had to take them off and back on. I'm assuming they knew what they were doing when they put it back on to the right, I hope. Anyway, I trimmed both to the left from the sources I have looked at online and just think to myself the mechanic made a mistake when he trimmed it to the right. I have not been out since replacing them, hoping to get advice from the wealth of wisdom I read everyday on this site. Going out on Friday. Am I right or is Shields, or is it trial and error? Never had to mess with them since I had the boat, and never paid attention to them as to which way they were trimmed, just the condition of them. It did not occur to me the dual purpose they served, I am always learning and know enough that I do not know enough.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

With a twin engine setup you are not going to notice a difference one way or another. Don't know if you have hydraulic or no feedback steering but if you do, they will cancel out any torque effects the engines will have. If both engines rotate the same way and you know which way one goes I would do the other the same.

The tabs really make a difference on single engine higher power outboards without hydraulic steering.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

fishsticks
Site Sponsor

Post by fishsticks »

The problem is I do not know the originality of the tabs. The one that was left, Shields put it back that way. Either correctly or incorrectly, or as you said Tom it did not matter at all and that happens to be the way it was put on, without thought.. I do not have hydraulic steering. So I'm thinking if they should not make that big of a difference, just center them to be safe then? The motors are 1992. I do not want to have problems when I'm out this Friday.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I would center them on both.
Tom Keels
Site Founder