RedTrout at Aucilla

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grasshopper

RedTrout at Aucilla

Post by grasshopper »

My partner and I prefished Aucilla Friday and had a grand day catching fish. Saw schools of large redfish cruising the shallow flats at low tide in 12" of water, but could'nt get them to bite any of our offerings. Stayed with them for two hours and cast every lure in our tackle bags without a single fish seeming interested. Left the school and tried creek mouths for another couple hours which produced several rat reds and slot trout. The tide was now starting to come in so we made a four mile run to a favorite trout hole, for two hours we caught over slot trout including a six, and two over five, game on.
Saturday morning at the ramp 6:30 am with our winning game plan, go back to where the school of redfish were holding get our red in the boat early then focus on the trout that we thought was a guarantee. First stop second cast my partner sticks a good fish power pole down and we net a 26 1/4 red, great start and in the live well he goes high fives all around. My next cast a good fish slams my twitch bait and after a couple of drag screaming runs my partner nets another 26 1/4 red with better shoulders. We estimate 6 1/2 pounds so with two redfish in the well our redfishing day is over at 7:30 am.
All we need now is the tide to turn so we can get back on the trout we had located the day before, fished several shallow spots that have produced big trout in the past while waiting for the tide to turn in our favor. Caught fish sporatacly and did manage one 22 1/2 " trout with no belly and decided to release this fish because of the no cull rule.
Finally at 1:00 pm tide turns and we get to our guaranteed big trout spot, fish for two hours and catch 30 trout between 19 and 22 1/2 but nothing bigger. Kelpt the fattest 22 1/2 and called it a day. Total weight 9 lbs 12 ozs. Tied for tenth place.
Congratulations to all the folks that placed and kicked our butts, and a shout out for a great tournament with a great format lets keep it going we had a ball.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: RedTrout at Aucilla

Post by tallykenj »

Sounds fun!
The Back Porch
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Ya'll do any good on the rocks after you pasted us ?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Sounds good. We had about the same deal with the trout. Our reds were smaller and we were 2 pounds out of the money. :( Still had fun for our first tourney ever.

I think we need to learn how to target the big trout. We just don't target them much, reds are our main target. Maybe we will learn more about trout fishing for the big uns this year. We catch some nice trout while fishing for the reds, but not with any regularity.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Not a bad day at all. :thumbup: