Grouper

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Manthony

Grouper

Post by Manthony »

FWC prepares for likely changes to recreational Gulf gag grouper seasons

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) on Wednesday approved a rule amendment regarding open and closed recreational harvest seasons in 2011 for gag grouper in Gulf of Mexico state waters that would be consistent with anticipated interim rules in Gulf federal waters.
Gulf gag grouper are considered to be over-fished and undergoing overfishing, and federal fisheries managers are preparing a plan to help rebuild populations of these fish in Gulf waters. In the meantime, interim federal rules are in effect that prohibit the recreational harvest of gag grouper in Gulf federal waters (beyond nine nautical miles from shore). This federal prohibition is expected to be in effect through the end of 2011, except for a planned Sept. 16 through Nov. 15 open recreational harvest season for gag grouper in the Gulf.
The FWC believes that applying the same recreational open and closed harvest seasons for gag grouper in Gulf state waters (inside nine nautical miles from shore) as in federal offshore waters would maximize fishing opportunities for anglers and charter boat operators along Florida's Gulf coast and provide economic benefits to this region.
The FWC's rule for Gulf state waters, except Monroe County waters, would establish a closed gag grouper recreational harvest season of June 1 through the end of 2011, except for an open gag grouper recreational harvest season of Sept. 16 through Nov. 15. These seasons would apply this year only, and they are contingent upon approval of the same gag grouper harvest seasons in Gulf federal waters.
More information regarding the FWC's Gulf gag grouper approved rule amendment is available online at MyFWC.com/Commission, linked from the April 6-7 meeting agenda. This rule takes effect on June 1, contingent upon approval of the federal Gulf gag grouper recreational seasons.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Grouper

Post by Gulf Coast »

Why do I feel like buy one of those bumper stickers that say," When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" ?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Gulf Coast wrote:Why do I feel like buy one of those bumper stickers that say," When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" ?

Because you're dealing with the guberment.
A little birdie did tell me today that we can expect a change (welcome or not) on redfish. But I can neither confirm nor deny said changes so look for changes in June/July time frame.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Swear the gooberment is starting to turn me into a clone of JT's feisty azzho self... :smt091
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

The redfish is going to be changed July 1. The new reg will allow recreational anglers to harvest 2 redfish between 18-27" in the northern region of florida which begins north of tampa bay on the gulf side and north of daytona beach on the atlantic side. I personally have no probelm with this seeing that myself and 2 other buddies have caught over 100 keeper reds in 3 trips in the past month. It would be nice to keep a few more the table. The only problem I have with this is the possibility of the redfish recieving more pressure from offshore anglers due to the closure on gags, thus increasing effort put towards redfish, ultimatley increasing harvest! My two cence..... :o
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Jhults11 wrote:The redfish is going to be changed July 1. The new reg will allow recreational anglers to harvest 2 redfish between 18-27" in the northern region of florida which begins north of tampa bay on the gulf side and north of daytona beach on the atlantic side. I personally have no probelm with this seeing that myself and 2 other buddies have caught over 100 keeper reds in 3 trips in the past month. It would be nice to keep a few more the table. The only problem I have with this is the possibility of the redfish recieving more pressure from offshore anglers due to the closure on gags, thus increasing effort put towards redfish, ultimatley increasing harvest! My two cence..... :o
My birdie told me statewide but it's not official yet or at least not put out there yet.
Keep all you want but don't go crying when there aren't any left & they shut it down.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

That right, those greedy guts don't need to come crying when they shut it down !!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Jordan, I think more pressure is exactly what we will see. More boats in our spots. We would all enjoy taking more home, but not at the expense of more boats. I am totally against this rule even though my mom drives all the way from Dothan once a week to pick up 2 redfish fillets. I'd love to send her back with more so she didn't have to drive so much. I might be able to stomach it better if here were a 4 fish per boat limit, or even lowering the slot upper limit like in other states. Say, 18-25 inches. Just my 2 cents.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

the FWC decided yesterday to defer action until November on the redfish.
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

kneeknocker wrote:the FWC decided yesterday to defer action until November on the redfish.
That's good. Should allow enough time for those offshore guys to get a flats skiff.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

That is not what a FWC officer told me two weeks ago on a routine check. He said it was passed and waiting the required time before being enacted June 1 2011, that the limit on Red Drum will be two per angler per day, 18-27" in the Northern part of the state.
Just what I was told by officer "Friendly". I will believe it when I see it on official FWC letterhead.
FF
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

fishinfool wrote:That is not what a FWC officer told me two weeks ago on a routine check. He said it was passed and waiting the required time before being enacted June 1 2011, that the limit on Red Drum will be two per angler per day, 18-27" in the Northern part of the state.
Just what I was told by officer "Friendly". I will believe it when I see it on official FWC letterhead.
FF

The officer you spoke with needs to go back to school. For several years now, whenever the FWC does make rule changes, they take effect on July 1 and January 1 to avoid this type of confusion. And Kneeknocker is right. We were both there at the public hearing. The vote was 3 to 3 (meaning it failed to pass) to raise the bag limit. The commissioners wisely decided to wait until the latest stock assessment numbers are in and they will take the subject up again at their November meeting. So the BAG LIMIT REMAINS AT 1 REDFISH per person, 18-27 inches, until further notice. Based on what I'm seeing and the increased pressure (federal offshore regs, gas prices, the economy) the new numbers are likely to show stocks declining. There are more and more people fishing mine and JTs holes. ;-)
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Maybe I misunderstood the date, but the other info I heard clearly. I am with you though. I think the additional pressures given the reef fish closures will play weightily in the decision making process.
I still think our biologists are a little too accepting of the Fed information when making decisions. We need more creel surveys and State biologists results when making these closure decisions.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Agreed. Federal fisheries management is an oxymoron. That theme was heard over and over at yesterday's meeting and it doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon (like the rest of the circus that's happening daily in Washington).

The sad thing is, most of us know the economic impacts of all this, but the politicos don't have a clue.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

There are more and more people fishing mine and JTs holes.
I wasn't aware JT had relinquished some of his hole ownership