Looking for maps that show grass flats

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pastorterry

Looking for maps that show grass flats

Post by pastorterry »

Does anyone know where I can find maps that show grass flats? My charts and GPS maps show contour and depth but not bottom makeup. Is there such a thing out there? If so where. I'll take maps or internet sites! Thanks
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for maps that show grass flats

Post by lordsfisher »

You've probably tried this, but if not, a download of Google Earth is a great tool http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

It's pretty easy to see what is grass and what's sand. The rocks often look white because of the absence of grass around them.

There's probably some old threads on this on here using the search box.

Hope you get out and fish and get refreshed for your service.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

Thanks! Ill try it. Keep fishing for men
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

What bottom machine do you have?
I'd look into the Fish-n-Chip from Navioncs if it's compatible with your machine.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

For all of those interested and with a little learning curve; above the google earth level, GIS (Geographic information systems) has been used for years to map Benthic habitat and the FWC has a very good GIS webservice http://ocean.floridamarine.org/mrgis/

The Seagrass composite layer is under the Coastal and Marine Habitats and Cover Layers

If you need assistance contact me and I'll try to help you with it.

GIS Joe
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Ranaman wrote:For all of those interested and with a little learning curve; above the google earth level, GIS (Geographic information systems) has been used for years to map Benthic habitat and the FWC has a very good GIS webservice http://ocean.floridamarine.org/mrgis/

The Seagrass composite layer is under the Coastal and Marine Habitats and Cover Layers

GIS Joe
:thumbup: That's pretty sweet, and the layers are available for download as shapefiles! Thanks for the link!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

:)
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

Ranaman wrote:For all of those interested and with a little learning curve; above the google earth level, GIS (Geographic information systems) has been used for years to map Benthic habitat and the FWC has a very good GIS webservice http://ocean.floridamarine.org/mrgis/

GIS Joe
Very, very cool. If it had the "Google Earth ruler", that would be incredible. Is a ruler on there somewhere that I am not seeing?
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Upper right hand corner of the tools set next to the (I) (information) it looks like a ruler you can measure lines polygons or use the point to get coordinates. The (I) tool is also very helpful this tool allows you to click on the different layers of data and see the table of information for that particular, point, line or polygon or imagery. Each feature, whether it be a point, IE: sea turtle nest, shipwreck or boat ramp, Line, IE: channel, State water boundary line, or Polygon, IE: FWC region, ecological presever or Seagrass composite, has information related to each individual feature (point, line or polygon). I hope that helps!

Enjoy!
-Joe
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ranaman wrote:Upper right hand corner of the tools set next to the (I) (information) it looks like a ruler you can measure lines polygons or use the point to get coordinates. The (I) tool is also very helpful this tool allows you to click on the different layers of data and see the table of information for that particular, point, line or polygon or imagery. Each feature, whether it be a point, IE: sea turtle nest, shipwreck or boat ramp, Line, IE: channel, State water boundary line, or Polygon, IE: FWC region, ecological presever or Seagrass composite, has information related to each individual feature (point, line or polygon). I hope that helps!

Enjoy!
-Joe
Awesome tool, Joe. Have used lots of other similar ones but none with a few of the overlay features you shared that I REALLY appreciate. :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:

Also have to say, mighty generous of Jumptrout to have shared so much intimate details about his holes with the Florida Marine Resources folks! ;-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

Hey thanks! That is a great site!
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Another little trick. Look carefully for the stationary boats. Those are good winter fishing spots. Where you see numerous boats in one location, those are JT51's holes.

(Just funnin' ya JT51)
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12