steinhatchee *fishing report*

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JShadwick

steinhatchee *fishing report*

Post by JShadwick »

Hello all, I have been checking out this website for a while, and i figured it was time to join. I have been fishing steinhatchee with my inlaws for years, but they only like to fish offshore. I have finally bought my own boat so now i can do what i want. i was wanting some information on inshore fishing. I have been out a few times and caught a few trout, but i want to learn more. Any advise or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jeremy.
Last edited by JShadwick on May 22nd, 2011, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
wakullagator

Re: steinhatchee

Post by wakullagator »

get out there at daybraek and throw a skitterwalk. then when the sun gets up jig the bottom with a gulp shrimp or jerkbait. trout on flats and reds in the grassline and near the oyster bars.
JShadwick

Post by JShadwick »

Thanks for the info. Do you use a popping cork with the jigs?
wakullagator

Post by wakullagator »

try the poppin cork and if that isnt workin take it of and bounce the jig on the bottom
JShadwick

Post by JShadwick »

i apprecitate the advice. I am probably heading down to spend the weekend. I will give a report when i get back.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Should be a good weekend.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

A good place to fish all the way to Pepperfish south to Keaton north. Expecting a GOOD report!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
JShadwick

Post by JShadwick »

I am interested in trying to catch a cobia inshore. Is it possible to catch this species without going offshore, and if so what kind of bait would be used. Thanks
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

LIVE PIN FISH OR 16 INCH BLACK PLASTIC WORM, BOTH WORK GREAT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
JShadwick

Re: steinhatchee *fishing report*

Post by JShadwick »

Had a good day inshore yesterday. We turned south out of the chanel at marker #11. we rode about 1/2 mile and started driffting. We were throwing berkly gulp shrimp and had live pinfish behind us. We ended up catching 2 spanish mackeral, several trout, and a huge bluefish on jigs. The only thing interested in the live bait was pompano, We caught 3 on the pinfish. At one point we drifted over a hard bottom in about 8 foot of water and started catching rockbass. I had an awesome time and the new boat performed great. Thanks for all the advice. I have pictures but cannot figure out how to load them up.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

JShadwick wrote:Hello all, I have been checking out this website for a while, and i figured it was time to join. I have been fishing steinhatchee with my inlaws for years, but they only like to fish offshore. I have finally bought my own boat so now i can do what i want. i was wanting some information on inshore fishing. I have been out a few times and caught a few trout, but i want to learn more. Any advise or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jeremy.

Jeremy,
The best advice you can get on catching trout and redfish in our area is to pony up and hire a guide for a trip or 2 and ask plenty of questions. A lot of people drift the flats lucking into fish and never really knowing or learning why those fish were where they were but a guide can really shorten the learning curve and help you.
Steinhatchee and Keaton Beach have some of the best & most knowledgeable guides around.
I'd give Capt. Ashley Mock of Warrior Inshore Charters (Warrior on this site) a call. Ashley is a great Captain and one heck of a fisherman, just look at the top of most of the local tournament's leader boards, and he knows the area from Spring Warrior to Pepperfish Key as good as anyone I know. Capt. Edward Thomas of TGIF Charters (http://tgifcharters.com/) out of Keaton Beach is another excellent guide. Both guys would be happy to help you. Tell 'em Matthew sent ya.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
JShadwick

Post by JShadwick »

i appreciate it, I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. I know i could learn more with a guide in one day, than i could in months or years fishing by myself.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Captain Warrior Mock requires you to wear a blindfold. 8)
WHOSE FISH IS IT?