Gag/Snapper Regs in State Waters Question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ReefDonkey

Gag/Snapper Regs in State Waters Question

Post by ReefDonkey »

I'm a little confused about the state waters Gulf regulations for red snapper and gag grouper. Some places I'm reading that the gags may be shut down in state waters June 1 but open back up in federal waters. I'll be fishing in state waters out of Panama City Beach June 6-15. What is the ruling? I just want to know/make sure I don't break any regulations as both species sound to be pretty plentiful right now in the Gulf. Any pointers on catching/targeting these fish would be appreciated as well. Thanks for your help. Reef Donkey.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Re: Gag/Snapper Regs in State Waters Question

Post by Scoop Sea »

Gags will be closed during your fishing trip in both State and Federal waters. State waters close June 1 for Gags, Federal waters are already closed (we do not know if/when they will open up again). I am pretty sure that Red Grouper can be caught in both State and Federal waters during your trip. Snapper season does open back up June 1 in State waters (I do not know about Federal Waters, but believe they will be closed). Not total clarification, but should help you out some. FWCC has a webpage dedicated to grouper regs that you may want to check out.

Tight Lines: Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
JTR

Post by JTR »

Here are a couple of links that will help.

This chart does not have the current closer for Gag Grouper listed.

http://myfwc.com/media/1349466/2011_jan_sw-chart.pdf

Last paragraph has the Gag Grouper closure in the Gulf for State waters.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regu ... f-grouper/

Having trouble with the second link - click Reef Fish < Gulf Grouper should put you to the Interim Rule for Gag Grouper in Federal Waters
The roar of the engine, the morning air blowing on your face, the darkness is broken as the sun rises above the water revealing the silhouette of a lone bird in the water..........in front of the boat........standing.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regu ... f-grouper/

According to this, Gags will reopen in Federal waters on June 1.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Nevermind, this was just posted today....

The recreational harvest season for red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico will open on June 1. Also on June 1, the recreational seasons for gag grouper and greater amberjack in the Gulf of Mexico will close. Gag grouper will remain closed throughout 2011, except that there will be a two-month opening in the fall, from Sept. 16 through Nov. 15. Greater amberjack will reopen on Aug. 1.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) will discuss the closing date for red snapper in state waters of the Gulf on June 9 at its meeting in St. Augustine. Commissioners will consider adopting a closing date consistent with the federal date of July 18. More details are available in the meeting agenda, at MyFWC.com/Commission.

Gulf gag grouper are considered to be overfished and undergoing overfishing, and federal fisheries managers are preparing a plan to help rebuild populations of these fish in Gulf waters. In the meantime, interim federal rules are in effect that prohibit the recreational harvest of gag grouper in Gulf federal waters (beyond nine nautical miles from shore). This federal prohibition is in effect through the end of 2011, except for a Sept. 16 – Nov. 15 open recreational harvest season for gag grouper in the Gulf.

The FWC’s rule for Gulf state waters, except Monroe County waters, closes gag grouper recreational harvest from June 1 through the end of 2011, except for an open gag grouper recreational harvest season of Sept. 16 – Nov. 15. These seasons apply this year only.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Guess we'll be canceling our trip planned for June 3rd :oops: Not even worth the expense for a few snapper.

This BS is getting friggin ridiculous!!!!!!
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

This is the change that some folks voted for! Hope they enjoy it!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

And they think folks like our family will continue to drive 1100 miles to Florida to fish? We own a home there, we were vacationing every two months up until last year and between the 12 or so family members that frequent the coast we spend a small fortune at the coast. We will have to re-think our retirement plans. There are some real nice places a whole lot closer to home & family.

By the way I had my brothers entire fishing club coming down in August or September. That's 50+ members spending money in Carrabelle & Lanark. The brother wanted to buy a home there also. Quite possibly more of the club members would do the same. I can see that trip unraveling as I type.

Do they have any ides what they are doing to the coastal economy?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

(THEY) DON'T CARE, (THEY) HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE GULF FISHERIES, (THEY) WILL COW DOWN TO WHATEVER THE COMMERCIAL PEOPLE WANT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:(THEY) DON'T CARE, (THEY) HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE GULF FISHERIES, (THEY) WILL COW DOWN TO WHATEVER THE COMMERCIAL PEOPLE WANT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
SEMPER FI

You are right about that Pa, it's all about the commercial guys, yet the recreational folks are the ones that put a lot more money in the coffers. It's total BS
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
ReefDonkey

Post by ReefDonkey »

Thanks to all for the replies. Sounds like from all the posts that a lot of folks are confused and pretty upset with all of this. I don't blame any of you!!! This is crazy and it's got to affect the economy of the area. I've got a good friend in Flagler Beach with a charter business and it's almost to the point that the bottom fishing deal on the Atlantic Coast is a no-go for many of these guys who have made a living for so many years. I feel for them. May have to build a secret compartment in the boat. Just kidding. It's not worth it, but does make you wonder. I guess I'll stick with the trolling for kings and maybe try a little bottom fishing for the snapper. Good stuff and thanks for the help. Coach
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Folks, keep you're eyes open because before all is said and done if the common man doesn't fight for rights to be preserved the powers-that-be are targeting the end of such freedoms as gun and fishing rights. Just this month, Obama acknowledged he's working against gun interests "under the radar". In other words, versus fighting for a plan that faces votes in congress or the senate he's instead using czars, agencies, and non-congressional/senate regulations to bleed away our freedoms. Doubt it? Read this...
http://frontpagemag.com/2011/05/30/gun- ... y-stealth/

And who is Obama's regulatory czar? Cass Sunstein -- an animal rights nut who is not only against hunting and fishing, but one who has openly said animals should be able to be represented by humans in lawsuits against man and his treatment of animals.

Will go ahead and mention a name sure to make some heads spin, but share because what he said this past week rings true... Glenn Beck spoke about what Obama meant by "under the radar" and said that his observations of what's happening lead him to believe that Cass and the regulatory folks are basically aiming to avoid public vote showdowns over hunting and fishing because they know they would lose them, and instead are working BEHIND the scenes to make the rules and requirements so complex that fewer and fewer folks will engage in the activities and ultimately that will lead to less fervent support of said activities... accomplishing the goal to kill them without even having a legal fight in our traditional system of democracy. There's your "change" -- ain't it grand? :smt012 :smt011
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Guy at Half Hitch here at the Cape tried to sell some guys on offshore fishing as being the "experience" rather than a meat trip. Said they should go to fish market if all they wanted was meat. I started to ask him how much he made off of the commercial boys. I suspect he was trying to make the best out of a terrible situation!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

MudDucker wrote:Guy at Half Hitch here at the Cape tried to sell some guys on offshore fishing as being the "experience" rather than a meat trip. Said they should go to fish market if all they wanted was meat. I started to ask him how much he made off of the commercial boys. I suspect he was trying to make the best out of a terrible situation!
That's how you get business to a brothel :-D

All the years I've fished offshore and NO ONE has ever said, "Here's my $150-200 for the experience.....don't want any fish."
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
flogator

Post by flogator »

i am a regular viewer of the 'Sportsman Adventure' TV program. I have a problem with their guide's 'hotspots' as it pretains to the current fishing regulations. Case in point, in one of the last segments the offshore 'hotspot' was gag grouper from a guide in the gulf! I posted a message on their website and suggested that they include a segment on current regulations for the different areas. this would be similiar to the 'florida sportsman' magazine info. Do any of you have this issue?