St. Andrews Bay 5-28-11 and 5-30-11

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlatCrazy

St. Andrews Bay 5-28-11 and 5-30-11

Post by FlatCrazy »

5/28 Redfish really shallow, really early. Fish on topwater up in the grass. Once the sun came up it seemed like they just stopped feeding. Started fishing for trout around 7, they were on fire through noon when we quit fishing. Just like last week, the baits of choice were suspending plugs. Ladyfish seemed to have thinned out some. Last weekend they were a real pain to deal with. This weekend not so much.

5/30 Quick redfish trip. Redfish were aggressively feeding in the shallows from before sunrise til around 7:30. Caught a bunch of them on topwater. One redfish was missing the upper half of his back. He had is front upper fin, but the longer one that runs back towards his tail was missing, along with about half of his upper body going down towards the spine. Looked like a dolphin or some other predator had taken a big bite of him years ago...he was all healed and seemed healthy. He fought hard and was about 31 inches long. It's amazing to me that he could have survived that type of injury.

Headed back to the house to prepare for a BBQ around 8:00.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Andrews Bay 5-28-11 and 5-30-11

Post by Old Dog »

FC, that sounds like fun. I'm heading to the St Andrews Bay area in the morning for a little trout/red action and taking along the fly rod in case I find 'em ganged up. I've been using the 5 wt line on bream/bass and need to have it stretched a little.
OD
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Good job, FC. Those pesky ladyfish are a pain, but it seems like they hang around where trout are biting. They sure can mess up a boat if they come aboard.
Yours in the South
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Another good report from St. Andrew's Bay.
"Plan for the worst."