Early 7-10-11 (Keaton area)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Early 7-10-11 (Keaton area)

Post by red_yakker »

I worked in the field down around the beaches this past Friday afternoon. At one place, we noticed a huge school of mullet piled up in a bay, and stopped to watch them for a minute. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a mixture of mullet and redfish. We talked to a guy who lives right there who said they had been in there every day lately. Although I knew I wouldn't have time to go Saturday, I knew exactly where I'd be Sunday mornin. 8)

I got to the ramp just before 7:00 and had found my school of redfish by 7:05. I shut down the motor and decided to ease up on them with the trolling motor. I had been up the night before drying out my trolling motor with a hairdryer, but apparently it still had some moisture in it, because it kicked on and almost flipped off the bracket as soon as I hooked the 2nd cable to the terminal (It does this when I leave it out in the rain for too long and moisture accumulates in the head). I decided to scratch the trolling motor idea and use a paddle. The paddle was making too much noise and the reds were keeping their distance, but I finaly managed to position myself so that I'd drift right over them.

My first hit was HUGE! Something took my grub and ran like crazy peeling off a good 15 or 20 yards of line. My first though was "huge redfish!", but later I saw what I'm pretty sure was a tarpon terrorizing the mullet, so I figure that might be what I had. Whatever it was, it came unhooked after about 5 seconds. A few casts later I had a 17-18 inch red. Got him unhooked and paddled back over to pick up a little bit nicer one (22"). Got him unhooked, paddled back over and had a little bit nicer one (24"). This one had swallowed the hook, so I decided to bring him home for dinner. After retying, I caught another little guy on my next cast. By the time I got the hook out and released him, I looked up and my redfish were nowhere to be found. The mullet were still jumping, but no redfish. I decided that since it was so hot and I had already had so much fun, I'd go ahead and head on in. When I turned to go, I saw a nice rainbow to top off my morning! Got my boat loaded, and was pulling away from the ramp at 8:15. Can't beat that :D
Attachments
0710110737.jpg
0710110737.jpg (234.17 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
0710110743.jpg
0710110743.jpg (128.32 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
0710110748.jpg
0710110748.jpg (264.13 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
0710110801.jpg
0710110801.jpg (123.41 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Early 7-10-11 (Keaton area)

Post by fishinfool »

Nice :thumbup: Not sure I could have left that early with biting fish. I probably would have been tempted to find that poon.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

that'a boy Benji. Way to stick'em
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
DOWNTIME

Post by DOWNTIME »

boy i wish someone would take me fishing and show me how the heck to catch a fish
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

:thumbup: :D