favorite topwater lures??

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

favorite topwater lures??

Post by flatsbroke »

What's up Gents? I do a decent amount(when i can get away from the firehouse) of flats fishing,mostly blindly drifting but picking up quite a few tactics.Just curious about some advice on topwater and/or other artificials I should try? Something other than gulp/jig combo and typical CT with whatever.I'd like once to know that a good day on the water was more than shear luck and become a better Trout/Red angler.I've spent way too much time on water to bring home 2-3 keepers back in spring when it was nothing for most to get a limit. :-?
Flatsbroke
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: favorite topwater lures??

Post by Reel Cowboy »

My favorite plug is the one with the sow trout hooked to it.

One Knockers, Super Spooks, Bite A Bait Fighters, Mirrolures and the like will all work.

Where do you typically fish?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

I like the rapala skitterwalk, but the paint doesn't hold up worth a flip. Mirrolures hold up a lot better.
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Reel Cowboy wrote:My favorite plug is the one with the sow trout hooked to it.

One Knockers, Super Spooks, Bite A Bait Fighters, Mirrolures and the like will all work.

Aucilla mostly in the past due to partner,with no avail many trips but have tried St Marks recently and Lanark once,will def be headed to Lanark more often,do miss the Aucilla some and looking forward to some fall fishing there.
Flatsbroke
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Reel Cowboy wrote:My favorite plug is the one with the sow trout hooked to it.

Any particuliar colors or models to get me started?? I have one skitterwalk in white and one spook in trout but just dont feel confident in either yet,I'll cast em ten times,no bite and put em up.Guess a little more patience with those lures would be a good start,huh? Oh...and have a spittin' image in looks to be same as a bass one i have but it's the saltwater,never even thrown it.Like I said,need to get some confidence in something topwater/suspending baits.
Flatsbroke
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Bone works everywhere, silver/chrome, gold, pink

If you're gonna throw top water, be prepared for an awful lot of casting and little catching but the ones that eat it are dang good uns
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks Moultrie neighbor....thats kinda what i thought you'd say but it'll pay off.I'm gonna give it more of a chance if it takes most of the trip to at some point land that 24+ inch sow.
Flatsbroke
Tallydoc

Post by Tallydoc »

Hard to beat the Chug Bug line, any color seems to work. My new favorite is the medium gold Bonk-a-Donk..... Seems to attract everything from reds to sail cats(ugh). Topwaters are for the true optimists among fisherman, who still believe, after 100 casts, that the next one will produce the loud SLAP-SPLASH of an aggressive strike by a big fish....just keep casting.
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks for the encouraging words and advice Doc..I'll keep you guys posted after the next trip cause you can bet the boat I'm gonna be slingin' lures. :D
Flatsbroke
7M

Post by 7M »

7M Mirrolure. Clear body with the silver or gold foil inside for flash. Other patterns when the water clouds up. You can vary your retrieves and find out what the fish want. I like 3 feet of water but catch fish in 1 foot of water to 10 feet on occasions. OKAY! Here is the secret...POP the lure when it's on top. It makes a little splat noise. That noise attracks the fish. Let the lure sit for a 4 count and give it another SPLAT. In a way it's like fishing with a poping cork with hooks. I know most of you have a 7M of some color in your tackle box. Give it a try and please post if you have any luck.
Clouly water last week so I tried the black back with the orange bottom and gold sides. BINGO! Largest fish just over 20" and smallest was 16". All fish caught late in the morning about 11 AM because of cloudy conditions with storms floating around.
Geaux Tigahs
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks. 7M.very informative info. Gonna order several lures this weekend and I'll keep you guys posted on how well all the good advice is paying off.
Flatsbroke
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

flatsbroke wrote:Thanks. 7M.very informative info. Gonna order several lures this weekend and I'll keep you guys posted on how well all the good advice is paying off.
Instead of ordering them, go see either Heath at South Georgia Outdoors in Cairo or Linn at Kevin's in Tallahassee. Both are site and NFGFC sponsors, very knowledgeable and have a better selection for our waters than you'll find anywhere. There's no telling what else you'll find that you didn't even know you needed.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Not as likely to land trophies as some of the bigger topwater lures but for hot action I absolutely love casting a blue shad colored tiny torpedo, especially if you can find a school of hungry macks eager to bite. Have caught MANY mackeral, trout, and reds on it when they're in the biting mood. :thumbup:

Do have to use it on days with mild winds though, as it's small enough it's hard to follow on rough days.

Keep at it flatsbroke... absolutely nothing more exciting than getting a lure slammed on top! :thumbup: :beer: :D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

I fish the bone spook junior alot and the bone badonkadonk, both have produced for me.
Scott7138
Site Sponsor

Post by Scott7138 »

I have tried evrything from Top Dog Jr's, Rapala's and Yozuri minnows. I have recently bought a Badonka Donk white with the red head and have the most success with it, both Reds and trout. Alot of times when i am fishing the CT and notice some cork hits is when I pull it out. I fish primarily St Joe Bay and the challenge there is floating grass. I like the fact that usually they are good fish landed on a top water.
"Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" - Dean Wormer - Animal House