spun hub?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

spun hub?

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Think I spun a hub this morning. Was about six miles from the launch and tried to hop on plane, but I only had traction until about 10 mph. After that rpms free-reved. Limped home at 6 mph without futher issue, but couldn't get on plane? Is diagnosses correct? if so, what is the process to repair? Parts required?

Thanks in advance.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: spun hub?

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Sounds like a spun prop but not sure how to go about fixing it.

Take it to your neighbor, he'll be able to fix ya up.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Reel Cowboy wrote:Sounds like a spun prop but not sure how to go about fixing it.

Take it to your neighbor, he'll be able to fix ya up.
answer your damn phone. You taking me fishing tomorrow so I can show you where the BassBoys fish in Carrabelle.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

SHOWBOAT wrote: answer your damn phone. You taking me fishing tomorrow so I can show you where the BassBoys fish in Carrabelle.

Answer yours. Or return a text or e-mail.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

sounds like a spun hub, on Some of the newer mercury props you can just swap out the hub your self not sure if others brands have done this yet. You can take it to any prop shop and they will replace the hub for you they use a press to change out the hubs. some shops may do it also, someone on the form will know who.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Thanks RZ. This is a 90 Yamaha.

I'm sure "my neighbor" will know, but he is chasing green trout.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sounds like correct diagnostics to me, Brian. Check the prop hub for ID stamps. It's likely a Mercury, even though the engine is Yammie. The newer Merc props have a hub insert that can be easily replaced.

Pete at Sunshine here in town can do it, or Shields in St. Marks.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

the prop is a powertech; came with the boat when I bought it

Can I just change props and run it? If so, I'll be calling my favorite attorney sponsor of this site shortly :D
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

If you've got a spare, sure, just change it out and try it. If the engine does the same thing, you'll know it's not the prop.