Fishing this sat. at Ochlockonee bay

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

derf

Fishing this sat. at Ochlockonee bay

Post by derf »

Me and the fam. are going to Bald Point this Sat. The boys are going to swim, my wife is going to read and sun bathe and I am going to bring my boat to fish. We all wanted to do something along those sorts so I thought this would be a good compromise. I was wondering thou, if there was any action on the water this week. I am not going to have a whole lot of time to fish so I thought someone could point me in good spot in the bay that they have had some luck in. I heard one guy a while back say that the bar by the white pvc pole sticking up was good but I am still fairly new to going there. Any help would be appreciated. :D I can understand if no one wants to give up any honey holes. Dont think it right for the hard work of another to go easily to another. But maybe some one can give some addvice on what works well for them. Topwater badonkadonk, popping cork with shrimp or gulp, hard baits, or live bait on a free spool. Just gearin up for tomorrow. :D :D
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing this sat. at Ochlockonee bay

Post by CoastalPirate »

Even though you are fishing on a rising tide lookout for the scattered oyster bars in front of the dock. Saw a kayaker run aground on them last week. I wish I had more advice to give you but I didnt have any bites when I was out there.
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

There are many oyster bars and sand bars in front of the beach. Wade out and fish around those areas and look for surface action and diving birds. When the tide is out, you can almost walk across the entire bay so don't stay in one place to long (until you find the fish). Once the tide changes, the bait fish become easy pickings as they get washed over the bars. This time of year, the fishing is tough. Your best bet will be with live bait. If you have a cast net, you should be able to get all you need. Good luck and please post your results
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

I've heard and seen quite a few people warn newcomers about the current in that area. It can take a small boat like a kayak out quickly, so maybe watch for that...some of the more experience folks can be more specific there. Am I right? The current @ Och. Bay can be bad, right?
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

I waded out there for the first time last weekend and WolfeMan is right, the current can be fast. I dont know if that is the typical current, but man it was pretty fast!
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

It can be very bad at times. A falling tide with a NW wind can take ya fast. A hard falling tide with an East wind can create a VERY rough sea at the mouth. I aint been fishing much this year :smt010 but have always had decent luck on the Long bar that crosses most of the mouth, from Bald point to 3/4 of the way to Mashes Sands, the flats in front of the bar has always been good also :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Around this time of the year you can find really large black drum under the bridge. Use your paddle to scrape some barnacles off the support pilings (for chum), and drop a fiddler crab or fresh market shrimp down and hold on. If you catch a really large one, please release it, they are the breeders (and the meat is really mealy and full of worms). The ones in the 20 inch range are delicious.

Chaires Creek is also a nice spot, tough to get in and out of on anything but a high tide, good deep hole on the first big bend to your right. Might be a bit buggy back there so be prepared.

Good luck!
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Fresh Market shrimp? That's some really classy bait!!!

Post by Gumbo »

The heads-on shrimp at Mike's Seafood Market are about the freshest you can get this time of year, far better than frozen. I tried classy but the caviar wouldn't say on the hook. You have a better suggestion?
derf

Post by derf »

Thanx for the replys. I have been away from the computer for a while (rent comes before internet bill i guess). I didn't go out that sat. but me and my boy went out the following mon. We started out of the mashes sands landing and fished the channel right in front of the pier. My anchor is not very good so we slowly drifted out to the mouth. My son caught alot of cats on squid. I like to use lures myself. The night before i got my box ready for only what i thought i would catch. On my first cast of an agua dream gold spoon i landed a nice fighter. I shouted with joy "yes a red",.......well it turned out to be a spanish m. I am not complaining, it was very good eaten. Has anyone caught a mack on a gold spoon? I thought they hit the silver spoons. Thats why i was supprised it wasn't a red. I got a few more hits the rest of the day but i ran out of gas and had to get away from storms the rest of the day.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Spanish don't care about color, just flash and speed "mostly flash" :-D The Oster bars on the Bald Point side generally hold more fish than the Mashes side does :thumbup: very few Reds on the Mashes side at all :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
derf

Post by derf »

That is interesting because before i got my boat we would go to the mashes sands pier with very little success. Occasionally we would go a little farther for us to the b.p. pier with decent fishing. I think it is the way the tide rolls in over there. :hammer: It takes awile but i catch on.
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

Has anyone gone all the way up Chaires Creek to Tucker Lake and the Indian mound? It is one of my crazy dreams, I tried a couple of times but bottomed out by the first 'lake'.