Need advice on a new spinning combo

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hotpins300

Need advice on a new spinning combo

Post by Hotpins300 »

I have one light shimano rod with a diawa reel, but I am looking to get a new set up. I fish flats mostly for trout and reds. Obviously I want the best bang for my buck. I was looking at the Penn Sargus 2 or 3000, but I don't know if it's a good reel. I'd like to spend somewhere around $100. Thanks for any help fellas
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Need advice on a new spinning combo

Post by wevans »

US Reels Supercaster 230 on an Ugly Stik Lite 6'6" :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE ABU GARCIA AMBASADOR IS HARD TO BEAT IN CASTING REELS. I HAVE 6 ON UGLY STIK 6.5 RODS. I ALSO USE THE SHIMANO SPINNIN REEL ON UGLYSTIK 6.5 RODS. THE REEL THAT I AM NOW USING WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY SON, DAVID, BACK IN 1995, HAVE NOT HAD TO DO A THING TO THIS REEL AND SHE STILL WORKS LIKE NEW. MIGHT MENTION THAT I SPRAY ALL OF THE TACKLE THAT I USE IN SALT WATER WITH FRESH WATER AS SOON AS I GET HOME FROM EACH TRIP. AFTER I LET THE REELS DRY IN THE SUN, I SPRAY THEM LIGHTLY ON THE WORM AND PAUL WITH W-D 40, CAST THE REEL SEVERAL TIMES AND PUT IN THE ROD HOLDERS ON THE BOAT. THE ABU GARCIA THAT I USE MOST OF THE TIME IS THE 65 , IT HAS LARGER HANDLES AND JUST FEELS BETTER THAN THE SMALLER HANDLE REELS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Hotpins300

Post by Hotpins300 »

wevans wrote:US Reels Supercaster 230 on an Ugly Stik Lite 6'6" :thumbup: :thumbup:
Do you think Crums bait and tackle in Panacea would have it? Thats where I plan on going when im ready
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

They have the Ugly Stik, don't know about the reel. I usually search the internet for them and buy when they are on sale :smt004
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

My suggestion would be to use a longer rod, especially for trout. The farther you can cast while drifting the flats the better you are at catching fish that might get spooked from the noise and sight of the boat. I like minimum of a 7 foot rod but prefer a 7'6" rod myself. I like Shimano reels and Daiwa reels. As far as rod brand I use a Bass Pro Gold Cup (I think thats the name, its a saltwater inshore rod), a couple of Ande rods (great for heavier lures/baits) a couple of Shimano Compre and Convergence Rods. They all work great for me, which is mostly drift fishing for Trout, spanish mackerel and others.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I can cast a top dog 300 to 400 feet using a 6'6 ugly lite, supercaster 230 with 14# Spiderwire XXX mono :thumbup: I don't want to cast any further than that :smt004 :beer:
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

wevans do you know how far 300 ft, is? :o
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Care ta bet that I can't do it "even with a hurt shoulder" :wink: Jackie has witnessed my cast before the supercaster, and it is even further now :smt004 :beer:
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

can i come and watch all of this
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

My bro in law works at bass pro in Destin and just bought a sargus and loves it. I haven't casted it but took a good look at it and it seems nice.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

wevans wrote:US Reels Supercaster 230 on an Ugly Stik Lite 6'6" :thumbup: :thumbup:
Which model? I think there are 3 in the 230 size. I would like to know too.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Shimano Sedona and Okuma Reflections rod.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

The Shimano Clarus rod is sweet. bman turned me onto it. Great warranty, under $80.

Post by derf »

The heavy action (expensive) Shimano rod i have is tough as nails but does not cast like the (inexpensive) medium action Daiwa. That was a run on sentence run on sentence :lol: :lol: With the med. i get more of a flick than a throw. My lures seem to go farther when i use my wrist as oppossed to useing my arm with a heavier rod. On the flats i think that is more important than having the back bone of an expensive rod.I'm just saying that it is not always about price. Look for a rod were the handle is right for you. It sucks to throw all day with a rod that is not as comfortable as you think it should be. It is very distracting. The ambasador is a great reel. I have abused mine and it is still the best one i have.