trout regs

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

trout regs

Post by SHOWBOAT »

The below is cut and pasted from MYFWC. I was aware of the discussions re: allowing recreational anglers to harvest a 2nd redfish, but I was unaware of efforts to change the trout regs. Capt Dave or anybody else have any knowledge as to how likely it is this will be implemented? I'm sure we'll know a lot more in Nov.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved several draft amendments for spotted seatrout regulations on Thursday that would open recreational harvest year-round and expand commercial fishing opportunities.

The FWC has managed spotted seatrout for more than 20 years to help rebuild overfished populations. A 2010 stock assessment of spotted seatrout in Florida indicated that the annual management goals for spotted seatrout are consistently being exceeded across the state.

As a result, the FWC is proposing to increase fishing opportunities for spotted seatrout in Florida. The proposal would open current recreational closed months by removing the current February closure in North Florida (Flagler through Nassau counties and Pasco through Escambia counties) and the November-through-December closure in South Florida (Volusia through Pinellas counties), allowing spotted seatrout to be harvested year-round in all areas of Florida.

In addition, Commissioners asked staff to look into increasing the recreational bag limit in the Northeast Region, increasing the commercial fishing season from three months to five months, allowing sale of seatrout inventory for 30 days after the commercial season closes, and creating a vessel limit of 150 seatrout when two licensed commercial fishermen are on board.

A final public hearing on the proposed spotted seatrout rules will occur during the November FWC meeting in Key Largo.

More information regarding the FWC's spotted seatrout draft rule is available in the online agenda at MyFWC.com/Commission. A final public hearing on these rule proposals will take place at the FWC's meeting in November.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: trout regs

Post by fishinfool »

Hmmm, :smt017 Not quite sure what to think about that. I am pretty sure I don't like the thought of increasing the commercial limit anywhere, let alone around here.
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

I cannot see opening the month of February would make any measurable difference in the sea trout populations in and around our immediate area of interest.

I disagree with increasing commercial limits of game fish!

I have mixed emotions about changing the redfish limit!

And yes, I do believe Obama is a one term president!
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

I like just the way it is.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

This has been in the works for a bit. The opening of trout in February in our region sounds like it will happen.

CCA is formulating a position on the commercial aspects, but I haven't gotten word yet on what it will be. Maybe Kneeknocker can chime in.

Trout is NOT a game fish officially, meaning it has never been totally removed from the commercial market like redfish. Regardless, most of us consider them so and it would be great if the FWC would codify that. But the agency is also trying to work with the commercial industry and this might be a bone in their direction. There is a serious black market for trout caught by poachers, however, so any concessions by the commission should take those estimates into account.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Go to any local seafood market and all you se is 4 to 6 pound trout in their display cases.
What up with that?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Allnighter

Post by Allnighter »

You seem to know a lot about where to buy big trout. :lol:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Allnighter wrote:You seem to know a lot about where to buy big trout. :lol:
It is where I "pick up" my scallops.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH RALPH, I THINK THEY SHOULD CONSIDER THAT TROUT ARE A GAME FISH AND SHOULD BE BANNED FROM SALE ANYWHERE IN THE U.S. GIVE REC. FISHING LIMITS SIMILAR TO TEXAS AND LOUISIANA, 10 PER DAY PER PERSON WITH SIZE LIMIT AS THEY ARE NOW. AS WE KNOW THE LIMITS ON REDS SHOULD BE INCREASED TO INCLUDE REDS 15-36 INCHES. THE LAST TIME I WAS AT THE GULF WE CAUGHT 8 REDS THAT WERE OVER 30 INCHES AND ONLY ONE IN THE LIMIT OF 27 INCHES AND NOTHING LESS THAN THE 27 INCHER.
OF COURSE I BELIEVE THAT THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY COMMERCIAL FISHING FOR NONE OF THE FOLLOWING FISH, GROUPA, KINGS, BONITA, TUNA, SNAPPER, RED BASS, TROUT, AND SPANISH .
IF ANY OF YOU AGREE WITH THIS LAST STATEMENT , WE NEED TO GET A PETITION STARTED AND GET IT DONE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I was in a fish market in New York City last weekend and there were slabs off of some WALLHANGER trout in there. I tried to ask the guy where they got 'em from but I got distracted.
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

Here is CCA's position on Seatrout. The FWC commission seems to really want to help the commercial fisherman out on this issue. We are not pleased with their recommendations and if there is not a huge uproar the Commission will put these rules into place.

CCA FLORIDA
RECOMMENDATIONS
for
FWC SPOTTED SEATROUT MANAGEMENT

Recommendations:
Recreational Fishery:
• Remove closed months for the recreational sector in the Northern and Southern zones.
• Maintain current size and bag limit in these zones.
• Remove cast nets from acceptable gear.
Commercial Fishery
• Maintain the three month commercial season with no increase in daily take.
• Maintain the current rule for sale of Seatrout.
• Remove cast nets from acceptable gear.
Comments:
Spotted Seatrout are managed by FWC in four different regions of Florida using a manageable biological goal of 35% spawning potential ratio. The 2010 Spotted Seatrout stock assessment showed that the SPR in all zones was above the management goal of 35% therefore allowing the FWC to propose removing recreational closed fishing months. Removing these closed months will have a positive impact on Florida’s economy.
While giving back to the recreational fisherman helps the economy, CCA does not believe that opening up more months in different areas of the state for commercial fisherman will gain the economic impact needed to justify the increase in take. By opening up two more months in the northeast, southeast, and southwest commercial zones will increase fishing days by 60% therefore increasing take by a comparable percentage while only increasing the recreational take by 8%. If FWC is to open the five months of commercial fishing in the northwest during the winter months it could be harmful to the northwest Seatrout stock.
During the winter months Seatrout congregate in the deep holes in rivers and creeks and become more susceptible to take from a cast net therefore CCA urges the Commission to remove cast nets as an acceptable method of take in both sectors.
CCA also has great concern over the year long sale of Seatrout. The sale of Seatrout works fine now selling your catch up to five days after the season. The fresh market yields the real money for the commercial fisherman and frozen fish cannot compete with the other imported fresh fish. Having a year around sale can also increase the potential possibility for poaching in both sectors. We would ask that the sale of Seatrout be open only during the open season and up to five to ten days after, just as the current rule states.

Prepared by: Trip Aukeman CCA Florida Deputy Director
(850) 224-3474
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Cast nets for Trout? I've always thought it was against regs for anyone to take trout with a cast net. Is it just for commercial fishermen? What is the latest info on increasing the Redfish limit? Haven't heard much on the subject lately.

salute2
Semper Fi