Bass Tracker in saltwater?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Koenig

Bass Tracker in saltwater?

Post by Koenig »

I have been looking for a G3 center console type boat. However, I have always liked the Bass Tracker style boat and wanted to get yalls opinion. As you know folks around these parts like to do both fresh/saltwater fishing and I am no different. I know Bass Trackers are not set up to handle the saltwater(i.e.. screw heads, hatch hinges, wiring, etc...) but I am curious about yalls thoughts on it in saltwater. I fish both salt and fresh.
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
One Keeper

Re: Bass Tracker in saltwater?

Post by One Keeper »

Tye one on (Tye Smith) fished outta one for years and had good luck with it as far as I know. My best advice is to wash it after every use in the salt and it should be fine. My .02
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I fished out of one that belonged to a friend for years in Tampa Bay. It was a TX-17 with a 75 hp Mercury. We never had any substantial problems wth it. They do not much freeboard, so you have to watch the weather, and, if you have a steel trailer, you may as well start looking for a galvanized or aluminum one as soon as you hit the saltwater.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I fished out of a side console Lowe that was equivalent for a couple years. No issues at all. I went through a manual car wash after each outing and flushed the outboard. You'll be uncomfortable enough in big water that that I don't think you'll run fast enough to make the rivits v. welds an issue. Good luck
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

I have a G3 175 that is pretty much just like a Bass Tracker. The only thing i have noticed happening to mine is small bubbling under the paint near welds and near where holes are drilled. The bubbles are about the size of an eraser so they are not a big deal.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Doesn't wevans fish out of a aluminum bassboat?
Team Jolly Mon
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

You can always solder your electrical connections.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I fish out of a pt 175 bass tracker and I haven't had many problems. I did have to replace the trailer a couple years ago cause it was steel. I just flush out the motor and and give it a good washdown every time when I get home from fishing. The one thing i don't like about it is having carpet. Gets wet and can be hard to clean when you get dirt or grass in it, so this winter I am planning on stripping it out and coating it with some bed liner stuff. Also looking at making a poling platform for it.