This Old Reel

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

This Old Reel

Post by CSMarine »

I have just picked up this old antique spinning rod and reel at a yard sale. Wanted to see if any of you know anything about the rig. I have checked the internet and only found one other reel like this one and it was in Australia.
The pictures are not that good, but at least you can get an idea of what it looks like. I'm more interested in the reel more than the rod. The rig is in fair condition.
On the side plate of the reel the information reads as follows;

Diamond
Super Deluxe 1000
Pat. Pend

The reel is a Sears hollow fiberglass rod, 6 foot 6 inches long, wooden handle, cork grip, stainless eyelets. Can't make out the modle number, it's too worn.
rod.jpg
rod.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
reel3.jpg
reel3.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
reel1.jpg
reel1.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
reel2.jpg
reel2.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
reel.jpg
reel.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
salute2
Last edited by CSMarine on October 12th, 2011, 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Semper Fi
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: This Old Reel

Post by silverking »

Looks very similar to the Mitchell 302 series. But the only ones of those I owned or seen were black or an off-green.

Let us know what you find out. Check eBay and also do a Google search for antique tackle.

They may be able to tell you at the Tally Antique Car Museum, too. They have a good display of antique tackle.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Silverking,
Did all the things you mentioned. The only place I found one was ebay Australia. It's built just like the old Mitchell 300 class reels. Would make a good "Wall Hanger."

salute2
Semper Fi
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Yeah, reminds me of a gold version of the Mitchell 300. I caught a lot of fish on mine. I wish I had kept it when it finally wore out. Nice find.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
mountain man

Post by mountain man »

when I first saw it I thought it looks just like the 300 's my dad and I used.
In fact Mitchell reels were all I used until the first Diawa's showed up.
The handle on the reel looks more like the handles on Mitchell 410's which were high speed.
I still have those reels they were great but tended to go through bail springs. They are in the retired
category.
mountain man

Post by mountain man »

when I first saw it I thought it looks just like the 300 's my dad and I used.
In fact Mitchell reels were all I used until the first Diawa's showed up.
The handle on the reel looks more like the handles on Mitchell 410's which were high speed.
I still have those reels they were great but tended to go through bail springs. They are in the retired
category.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Spool, Rotor and handle are classic Penn. From what I am seeing it is worth between $2.50 and $12.00. It does not seem to have any connection to Penn or Mitchel.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

fishinfool wrote:Spool, Rotor and handle are classic Penn. From what I am seeing it is worth between $2.50 and $12.00. It does not seem to have any connection to Penn or Mitchel.
That's about $2.49 more than what I'd try to sell it for. As I said, good wallhanger, just like the old 1950's outboard motor I'm using as "Yard art." I paid $1.00 for the rod and the reel came in a $1.00 box of hardware and junk I bought. I feel so bad that I got ripped off. :smt005
Just never heard of Diamond fishing reels. I was just curious about it.

salute2
Semper Fi
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Cool looking old reel CS.
I got a Damn Quick 220, I bought in the late 60s. I still fish with it. It's kinda scarred up, but the guts of it is clean, as a whistle.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

LOOKS LIKE SOME OF THE FELLAS HAVE THE SAME FEELINNG I HAVE, LOOKS LIKE THE OLD MITCHEL 300 I HAVE AND STILL USE. I USE IT WITH A CORK AND GRUB TRAILING OUT THE BACK OF THE BOAT. I BOUGHT THE REEL AND ROD BACK IN 1953, DO NOT REMEMBER WHAT IT COST BUT IT WASN'T VERY MUCH.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
jsy

Post by jsy »

Diamond was an old brand made for inexpensive retail stores (K-Mart, etc)

In south Florida in the 1970's they carried them in Gold Triangle Stores.

There were a few off brands like that. A popular one was "SpinMaster" which looked the same but was dark green.

They were pretty good reels and when you added a teflon washer it had an excellent drag.

Sold for about $12.00.

Does anyone know someone who repairs rods in Wakulla Co ? replace guides, tips, etc.