buy a boat without a title?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

itiger

buy a boat without a title?

Post by itiger »

Planning to buy a project boat but the seller doesn't have the title. How do I get a new title? thanks.
Born to fish, forced to work!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: buy a boat without a title?

Post by wevans »

If it's a Florida registered boat, I would pass on it! A Georgia boat and all you need is a bill of sale "no title in Ga." :thumbup: :beer:

PS: If you're bound and determined to buy it and it's a FL. boat :hammer: You will need to take the registration numbers to the tax collection office, they will look up the titled owner and you will have to get that person to apply for a lost title and then sign it over to you "you may get lucky and they will give you Power of Attorney for the boat title only"!! GOOD LUCK :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
itiger

Post by itiger »

wevans wrote:If it's a Florida registered boat, I would pass on it! A Georgia boat and all you need is a bill of sale "no title in Ga." :thumbup: :beer:

PS: If you're bound and determined to buy it and it's a FL. boat :hammer: You will need to take the registration numbers to the tax collection office, they will look up the titled owner and you will have to get that person to apply for a lost title and then sign it over to you "you may get lucky and they will give you Power of Attorney for the boat title only"!! GOOD LUCK :beer: :beer:

this is very helpful. thanks a lot!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Ask Kneeknocker, it is quite a chore. Especially if the trailer isn't registered.
Team Jolly Mon
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Check your email when you get a chance.

Thanks - Steve
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF THAT BOAT IS TIILED IN FLA. SAND ALL TRACES OF A NUMBER OFF AND FILE FOR A SALVAGE TITLE, IN ABOUT 2 YEARS YOU WILL HAVE YOUR SALVAGE BOAT TITLE, COST ON THE LAST ONE I DID LIKE THAT ENDED UP BEING AROUND $75 AS I REMEMBER. IF IT IS A GA. TITLE IT TAKES A LITTLE WHILE BUT NOTHING LIKE FLA. GA TITLES HAVE GONE UP, USE TO BE $15 FOR 3 YEARS, NOT IT IS $45 FOR 3 YEARS. ON A 16 FT. BOAT.
FUTCHCAIRO
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

get them to sell it somebody in AL, then but it from the person in AL and bring it back to FL. Much simpler than what you're going to have to go through. Or so I've been told.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
itiger

Post by itiger »

Steve Stinson wrote:Check your email when you get a chance.

Thanks - Steve
got it. thanks.
itiger

Post by itiger »

thanks all for your inputs. you all are so kind.