Towing report with new (to me) Silverado

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

manley
Site Sponsor

Towing report with new (to me) Silverado

Post by manley »

I originally posted this in rv.net forum, then in FS. I thought that some of y'all who tow campers and heavier boats might be interested in this. The post immediately below this one will be my "first impressions" from my test tow last week, then the next post will be my tow report from the weekend trek to High Falls State Park near Jackson, GA.
manley
Site Sponsor

Re: Towing report with new (to me) Silverado

Post by manley »

One word: "Wow!!!"

Set up really nice with my weight distribution... I was worried, because of the levelling kit. Before hitching up, front was 38" to fender, and rear was 38 5/8". With weight distributed (all the tension I can put on it), it was 37 1/2" at both. The 6-speed was sweet, and the integrated brake control is a huge upgrade, even over the prodigy P-3 on my old truck. Only negative is the observed fuel mileage through the lie-o-meter (6.9 MPG), but that was over about a 10- mile test tow. Think I am gonna really like it! Headed out later in the weekend for a 400-mile round trip to High Falls State Park, and can't wait!

manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

I got 9.5 MPG going north (running 93 octane with NO ethanol) and 9.35 MPG coming south (running 87 octane E-10, and carrying 500'ish pounds of undumped grey/black water). Both MPGS were hand calculated. I love the truck! It did great today, even with a 20 MPH crosswind. Transmission temperature didn't get above ambient temperature + 110*. The 6-speed is really a HUGE freaking upgrade, almost as much as the 88 extra HP and 83 ft-lb of torque!

I HARDLY think I will have temperature problems with the aluminum engine... I am quite content to keep it under 65 MPH!

(Reason for the temperature comment is a reply to someone that commented on the all aluminum block of the 6.2 Liter GM engine)
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

TOWING SOMETHING THAT LARGE YA SHOULDN'T BE GOING OVER 55-60, AAT 55-60 YA SHOULD GET AT LEAST 12-13 MPG AND BE ABLE TO STOP IN 200 FT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF YA CAN NOT GET 12-13 MPG , YA NEED TO CHANGE TO A DODGE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

Pa, with all due respect, I'll kiss your fanny on the Grady County courthouse steps (and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd) if ANY gas burning vehicle will consistently get 12-13 MPG while towing 7,000 +/- pounds!
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

:pop_1
"Plan for the worst."
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:IF YA CAN NOT GET 12-13 MPG , YA NEED TO CHANGE TO A DODGE.
PA
SEMPER FI

Ain't no way.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:IF YA CAN NOT GET 12-13 MPG , YA NEED TO CHANGE TO A DODGE.
PA
SEMPER FI
I'm with you on this one PA but I've also gotta agree with manley... I just bought a new dodgea couple weeks agao after driving my old dodge for more years than I thought possible... I love the dodges.. the old 2002 got 8 mpg when pulling the boat...I was expecting a lot better with a new Hemi but it only gets 10.5 mpg dragging the boat... I'm not complaining, it's a lot better than 8 mpg but nowhere near 12 -13. It is getting close to 19 without a load behind it and that's the best mileage I've ever gotten from a pick up and I've tried em all. :-D

Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

nice looking truck, Juan! the Rams do look nice! How heavy is your boat? Also, there is a LOT of difference in the aerodynamics of a boat and travel trailer!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Scott, is the Silverado a 1500 or a 2500?

I haven't looked at new trucks in years, so I don't have any idea what's out there. I've seen the TV ads for the 6.2 engine. I think the ad said 403 HP. That's starting to get back up there.

I'm hoping I can get 12 more years out of my old truck. :roll:
What was I supposed to do today?
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

John, it is a 1500. The 6.2 is not available in the 3/4 ton (yet). Interestingly, however, the 1500 with the 6.2 & NHT package is rated to tow MORE than the 2500 with the 6.0! You're right, the HP is 403, and torque is 417. It is a beast!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY MANLEY, DIDN'T MEAN TO RUSSLE YA FEATHERS. THE 88 DODGE I HAD WITH A V/6 ENGINE PULLED A 26 FT. STAMAS ON A TRIPLE AXLE ALUM. TRAILER FROM CLEARWATER BACK TO THE MOORINGS IN CARRABELLE , DID NOT HAVE A TRAILER BRAKE HITCH-UP ON THE TRUCK, SO I ONLY WENT 45-50 MPH AND TOOK A HALF MILE TO STOP FROM 50 MPH. THE ROUND TRIP FROM CARRABELLE WE GOT 13,6 MILES PER GAL. PULLING MY 18 FT. STARCRAFT ALUM. BOAT WITH THAT TRUCK I CONSISTANTLY GOT 16-18 MPG. I MIGHT ADD THAT I HARDLY EVER GO OVER 50 MPH WHEN I AM TRAILERING ANYTHING.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

Pa, you ain't ruffled my feathers! It's all good. :)