Prescription polarized glasses

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Prescription polarized glasses

Post by Gulf Coast »

Anybody here have any suggestions on them ? Looking for a good pair.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Prescription polarized glasses

Post by silverking »

Costa del Mar can do most of their styles/lenses to match your prescription. Ask your eye doctor. Takes a couple weeks, I believe, but you end up with a quality pair of shades.

Not sure if you can order factory direct with a current prescription or not. Check costadelmar.com.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Thanks buddy, can't stand the thought of going thru another season of running WOT and not being to see the kayakers until after I cut'em in 2 ! :D Just kidding guys !!
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I have a pair of these and they work pretty good. http://www.fitovers.com/
Got mine at SGI Outfitters, but they have them online. I think Cabela's has them. I know they aren't the same as prescription but they are a lot cheaper and for me in a way better because when I lift them up if I want to see something without shades real quick I'm not blind as a bat.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I've had the same pair of Costa Del Mar Polarized prescription sunglasses for 12 years! (new lenses every couple of years). Most optometrists can hook you up I think. I think if you have your prescription, you can order them from the factory, but I prefer to let the professionals do that for me.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I bought a couple pair of flip-up polarized lenses from sunglass warehouse online. I think they were cocoons. They were 10.00 a pair. As opposed to 400.00 for prescription Costas. They're not as cool. But, I've got a lttle money left over for gas. Cabelas used to sell the flip-up cocoons but, I don't think they do anymore.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The man runs a Maverick, y'all. He's got to look the part. :D
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CALL MY DAUGHTER, MARY FUTCH , AT BAKER EYE CARE CENTER IN MC CLENNY, FLA. SHE CAN FIX YA RIGHT UP IF YOU HAVE YOUR PRESCRIPTION, COSTA DEL MAR NO WHERE NEAR $400
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

If you have a strong prescription (>+2 or <-4 diopters), you might have a hard time getting fitted in most of the popular wrap-around frames (like Costa, Wiley-X, Oakley, etc.). I think Ray-ban Daddy-O is about as good as it gets for really nearsighted people.
Shopping for high-strength prescription sunglasses on the internet is aggravating. :smt076 You would think by now someone would have a website where you could enter your prescription first, and then drill down through available options in that prescription. But NO, they make you wade through each model one at a time to find out whether it comes in your prescription or not. :smt093

So know your prescription when you research. Look for sites that show the prescription limits (like http://www.sportsoptical.com/index.htm), find a few candidates, then call Mary Futch at Baker Eye Care in McClenny like Pa said. :smt045

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
MIKE REELMAN
Site Sponsor

Post by MIKE REELMAN »

all i can afford is wal mart brand not bad for the price
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

silverking wrote:The man runs a Maverick, y'all. He's got to look the part. :D
:thumbup: :thumbup:
mountain man

Post by mountain man »

I lost my pair of prescription sunglasses last year . I had gotten 15 years out of them. So it was time to replace them.
Unfortunately I need progressive lens now. I had to go with Maui Jim's. They were not cheap by a long shot but they
are great. Also,some good advice when you are running WOT don't turn around and look aft. The only thing you will see is your glasses
landing in the water.
mountain man

Post by mountain man »

I lost my pair of prescription sunglasses last year . I had gotten 15 years out of them. So it was time to replace them.
Unfortunately I need progressive lens now. I had to go with Maui Jim's. They were not cheap by a long shot but they
are great. Also,some good advice when you are running WOT don't turn around and look aft. The only thing you will see is your glasses
landing in the water.
High Hope
Site Sponsor

Post by High Hope »

I got a regular pair from the VA and had them polarized at a local eye doc. Since I get a free pr of Rx every year I was able to have a clear pair and a fishing pair. I also put an eyeglass keeper on them. They work great.