Martin's Custom Plexiglass

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Wanted to give props to Don Martin, Martin's Custom Plexiglass in Madison. As many of you know, I own a custom flats boat that isn't built anymore, so parts are often hard to come by. The original cover over my instruments in the helm pod had yellowed and turned cloudy. Tried to polish it with headlamp polish compound with little improvement. Called my buddy Bob Derwick of Fine Line Studio Glass and he recommended Don. Good choice. Don produced a new piece for me that matches the original perfectly. His turnaround time was very quick and the price was very reasonable, too. Don, who worked in the boat-building industry for years in Miami (with Bertram and others), has a complete fabrication shop. He can do replacement windshields, panel covers, live well lids, etc.

I'm very particular about my boat and Don's work surpassed my expectations. If you need any type of plexiglass replacement part for your boat (or other stuff around the house like display cases, dust covers, etc.), please keep him in mind. I'd highly recommend him!

Madison, FL
850-253-8077
850-570-0102 (cell)
email: djmartin01@aol.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Martin's Custom Plexiglass

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

more pics Capt Dave....lets see what the console on that beauty looks like
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

SHOWBOAT wrote:more pics Capt Dave....lets see what the console on that beauty looks like

OK, OK. But first let me get the new part installed. I'll shoot some more Friday when I'm out celebrating my BD by tangling with a fish or two.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Do they do windshields? If not, who would folks suggest.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

silverking wrote:Don, who worked in the boat-building industry for years in Miami (with Bertram and others), has a complete fabrication shop. He can do replacement windshields, panel covers, live well lids, etc.

I'm very particular about my boat and Don's work surpassed my expectations. If you need any type of plexiglass replacement part for your boat (or other stuff around the house like display cases, dust covers, etc.), please keep him in mind. I'd highly recommend him!

Madison, FL
850-253-8077
850-570-0102 (cell)
email: djmartin01@aol.com

I think this is the answer you are looking for MudDucker.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yes, he does make replacement windshields. Bob Derwick had one built for his Willys skiff and was very pleased with the result. Give Don a call, MudDucker. He can fix you up, plus he's not that far from you.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I will give him a call.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I live in Madison County and have used Don for several things but nothing on my boat. He does good work. I think anyone would be pleased with him.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Well, y'all can use him, but I will not be using him. He seems very nice, but his wife is the opposite.

I called Saturday and talked to him on the phone. When we hung up, it was understood that I would be bringing the boat around 6:30 PM to his shop and I would leave it for a couple of weeks until he got finished and then go pick it up. I drove out to my farm, hooked up my boat and brought it to town. As I am getting ready to leave yesterday, I give him a call to confirm our meeting. I did not notice that he had already called. His wife answered. Short story there was that his wife told me that they were not insured to keep boats on their property. I told her that my boat was already insured, but she would not hear of it. I said okay, since I was hooked to the truck could I just bring it on down and let him take his measurements or whatever. Well that would not work with her schedule, but she would send him over here to get the measurement. Then she puts him on the phone. He offers to come over and offers to do it after work during the week. I reminded him that I don't have time during the week and he offers to come today, Sunday.

I said okay, but that since I had the boat hooked up already, I would be fine with bringing it to Madison myself today. He asked about when I would be coming. I said I would go to Church and out to eat and that I would leave about 2 or 3 and that he could make the trip over here after he got the windshield built.

Well, here it is Sunday and my wife had to go to a shower and she wanted to ride, so at 2:50, I call down there to let him know I am on the way. The wife answers the phone and she starts in with that I was supposed to be in Madison at 3. I said no mam, I made no firm time on arrival and said I would be leaving between 2 and 3. In a very beotchy tone, she said she specifically heard her husband say 3 and that they now had a dinner plans and that my getting there at around 4 would mess that up. He never mentioned anything else on the schedule. I had heard enough of the beotchy tone and I said, Mam, this just seems to be too much trouble to schedule so I guess I will just find someone else. Well, that obviously ticked her off, because she got louder and more stern and said yea, you better do that and hung up the phone.

Not anyway to do business and I will not be supporting them. Its a shame, because he seemed like such a nice guy.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Call Doug @ Custom Plastics in Tallahassee. He's done couple of things for me. 850-385-7700.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

DEMON wrote:Call Doug @ Custom Plastics in Tallahassee. He's done couple of things for me. 850-385-7700.
Thanks, I am going to try one local here tomorrow and if that doesn't work out, I will be looking for alternatives.

Dang thing is that I've been so busy the last couple of years that the only thing I take this boat out for is to take the Boy Scout troop scalloping.
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

MD-Doug is a friend of mine and is a fine craftsman. He had a thriving shop in Miami and did all kinds of custom work there in marine and other markets. He will be making a new windshield for my Hoog as soon as I complete one more project. Hope you give him a shot at your business and know you will be pleased with his work.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

groupertherapy wrote:MD-Doug is a friend of mine and is a fine craftsman. He had a thriving shop in Miami and did all kinds of custom work there in marine and other markets. He will be making a new windshield for my Hoog as soon as I complete one more project. Hope you give him a shot at your business and know you will be pleased with his work.
Grouper, did you miss my post above. I gave Doug a shot, but his wife shot it in the rear. If I could just deal with him and not her, I am sure we could do business. I've scheduled another place to take the boat this morning. Thanks though.
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

Saw the post but must have mis-read it. Thought it was DON's wife not Doug Turner in Tallahassee. Just seems out of character for my friends. Sorry you had the experience with them and hope you get the job done. Again, I apologize!