Itchin' For Sailfishin' - Seeking Recomendations for Charter

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Itchin' For Sailfishin' - Seeking Recomendations for Charter

Post by Harmsway »

Man, I finally decided that I need to catch a sailfish before I get too old, so me and Joe are planning a trip south in March for some sailfish action. :smt041

I've googled and found a lot of charter options, but I don't know squat about how to choose a good one. :smt017

Anybody ever do it? :smt102

:smt100 Got any advice on who/what/where/how to charter?
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Sea Sea Rider

Re: Itchin' For Sailfishin' - Seeking Recomendations for Cha

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

Capt. Jack Kelly out of Key West got me on the Sailfish. He is a dependable Captain if you travel that far South.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Harmsway wrote:Man, I finally decided that I need to catch a sailfish before I get too old, so me and Joe are planning a trip south in March for some sailfish action. :smt041

I've googled and found a lot of charter options, but I don't know squat about how to choose a good one. :smt017

Anybody ever do it? :smt102 Not that I've paid for. :lol:

:smt100 Got any advice on who/what/where/how to charter?
Need some answers before making recommendations, Will. Do you want to stay in the U.S. or venture really south? Guatemala is tops for sails, but you may not want to venture where there are armed guards outside the resort.

How many will be going? That will determine boat size and price. Do you have a particular locale you'd prefer (Keys, etc.)

I've got some captains I can suggest from Palm Beach south, depending on your parameters. Now is the time to go.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Yeah, silverking, between Palm Beach and Miami. Two of us. I'm thinking light(ish) tackle.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Capt. George Mitchell, Jupiter

561-339-1428 or 561-741-4665

40 years experience, one of the top sailfish skippers in S. Florida. He fishes light tackle and runs a 36 Contender. Yamaha Pro Team member, kite-fishing expert. Fun guy. I'd recommend staying at the Sailfish Marina on Singer Island and George could pick you up at the dock. Nice restaurant there, not expensive and not crazy, either.

If you want to go further south, then Capt. Bouncer Smith. Bouncer is another legend and really knows his stuff, too. Fishes a 33 Dusky out of Miami Beach Marina. Right by South Beach, so if you want night life and topless beach, go with Bouncer. 305-439-2475; captbouncer.com

But Jupiter is closer and so is the Gulf Stream. The WPBFC's Silver Sailfish Derby just set a new record for sails released in the January tourney. Not unusual to have double-digits on sails, plus dolphin and wahoo a possibility, too.

If neither of these guys are available, let me know and I'll give you another batch. Tell them I sent you their way. I worked with both over the years on articles/projects.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

silverking wrote:If neither of these guys are available, let me know and I'll give you another batch. Tell them I sent you their way. I worked with both over the years on articles/projects.
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate it. :smt045
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Good choices. Also try Capt. Eden White or Capt. George LaBonte. They also work out of the Sailfish Marina. I think they both fish out of smaller, open fishermen. Light tackle. Plan on getting wet.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Thanks, MM. I'll put them on the short list. :thumbup: