March 9-11 Wknd Econ Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

volguy

March 9-11 Wknd Econ Report

Post by volguy »

After a long dry spell between trips to the Econfina, I was able to get back down for the first time since April of 2010. A tough start to 2011, high gas prices in the spring and then a career change last summer, I was never able to make it. So it was great to pull into our great little get away on Friday morning around 11 a.m. For this trip I had a good friend and his 15 year old son down from Eastern North Carolina who drove 11 hours to get in on a little Econfina weekend getaway. A quick unpack of the truck, rigging of the rods and pack the boat and off we went.

straight to ol standby honey hole spot number 1 on a beautiful 75 degree afternoon and zero wind with tide ripping in and things were looking up. fished all the way up and back and nothing. no sooner had i gotten out of my mouth "we need a breeze to put a little ripple on this super clear water" when we got our breeze. bam, 23 inches of fatty trout in the box. we caught for about 45 minutes losing many at the boat because of hooks falling out as they were all very nice trout and their mouths would just get a little too big of a hole in them from pulling so hard. we ended up with 6 in the box and lost another 4 or 5 at the boat. all were keepers with no throwbacks. off to redfish spot during slack tide and about half down the bank and BAM, 25 inches of red in the box. ended up with 5 reds and all were keepers. that slight breeze had cranked up to about 20 and it was starting to get a little dark, so we headed in. trout were in less than 2 feet and reds were all along the grass and on top of bars. white and herring colored jerkbaits were the bait of choice.

saturday saw much of the same as weather goes. unfortunately, the wind never quit and to add to the low morning tides were the clouds and dark conditions taking away the sight fishing. so off to JR's we go for shrimp. these guys aren't big fisherman and i knew 20 mph winds would make it tough. it was a good choice as we had a great day catching fish. 6 black drum, close to 20 reds with 5 keepers, and 11 trout all on one bar in about 2.5 hours made it worth it. wind cranking to somewhere over 20, dark conditions and we were gone. i had never caught black drum at econfina before, but we worked on them on saturday.

First two days catch

Sunday was a lot of the same with a super low tide at noon on Sunday and a long idle out to the mouth of the river. winds getting up to cautionary levels for sunday, but fortunately out of the northeast made it manageable. and to make it even better, two very good rain showers late in the afternoon. this time it took two bars over about 3 hours, but we managed 11 more trout and around 10 reds with only one keeper. again in 1-2 feet of water all on shrimp. Sunday was probably the toughest day I have ever fished econfina. the dark light conditionas was tough and the water had cooled. this made the fish bite very light. they would barely hit the bait and then the cork would slowly go down. you would think it was a pin fish it was so light at times.

My buddy holding up Sunday's catch inlcuding a 25 inch fatty trout

econfina always produces fish, but these were the toughest i have ever had to work for. i have never been down this early as i usually try and make it to the keys this time of year and start hitting the panhandle in late march or early april. but we made the best of it and a 15 year old and his dad who had never been to the panhandle had a great time. And that is all that matters!!!!!
High Hope
Site Sponsor

Re: March 9-11 Wknd Econ Report

Post by High Hope »

Great report vol. I always like your write up & photos. I was wondering why you have not been down. :smt006
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great report and photos.
jwnoles
Site Sponsor

Post by jwnoles »

Excellent!
JW
<'(((<

2001 Carolina Skiff 1655V
2001 40 HP Yamaha
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Slayed em...awesome photos and great report!
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Great haul. Glad to start seeing some reports. What water temps did you see?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Outstanding report with encouraging news.
The Back Porch
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I'm getting excited! Nice catch!
volguy

Post by volguy »

i thought the reports were a little scarce for the last few months. my kayaking buddies have been wearing them out all winter back in the creeks. trout and reds.

water temps were 67 to 69 on friday and 66 by sunday afternoon in the blustery conditions. with the weather this week, it will be full on by this weekend. good luck to you guys. i hope you all bring in boat loads. just save a few....just a few for the last weekend of the month. :-D :lol:
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Now I have a major fishing jones.

Good report. Can't wait to get down there.
Tight lines

Bullet