Paint Peeling - New Xpress Boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Paint Peeling - New Xpress Boat

Post by Ron Wilson »

A buddy of mine just bought a new 20' Xpress. He took it out this weekend and went over a sandy area that had some oysters, etc. while drifting/trolling. When he got back and put the boat on the trailer, he noticed the paint on the bottom was "peeling" off - literally. He sent me some pics, it was hanging off the bottom of the boat. Figured it would cause scrapes/scratches, but paint peeling? Anyone experienced this with Xpress or other aluminum boats?
"Plan for the worst."
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Paint Peeling - New Xpress Boat

Post by dombern34 »

not sure if his boat trailer would have brakes but if so maybe brake fluid spraying the bottom while towing?
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

dombern,
No brakes on the trailer. He went over the area and had to push his boat off. He was expecting some scratches on the bottom, but not the paint peeling off. He took it back to the dealership he bought it from and they indicated there was something with the paint job. They will be getting with Xpress to get it taken care of. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

improper preperation, or wrong paint.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Same thing happened to Chevy trucks painted in the early 1990s.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Ron Wilson wrote:A buddy of mine just bought a new 20' Xpress. He took it out this weekend and went over a sandy area that had some oysters, etc. while drifting/trolling. When he got back and put the boat on the trailer, he noticed the paint on the bottom was "peeling" off - literally. He sent me some pics, it was hanging off the bottom of the boat. Figured it would cause scrapes/scratches, but paint peeling? Anyone experienced this with Xpress or other aluminum boats?
Please keep us updated and let us know how Xpress handles the warranty.
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

Same thing happens to Chrysler products since the day they started painting them. :D
You just can't fix stupid.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Same thing with a 1982 Harley Davidson I had once. Dang paint came off in chunks after just about 25 yards of sliding on it's side down a paved road. Looks like the paint would have held up better from an american made bike don't it. Have to say though, I'm American made and some of the paint came off me too on that one. :smt009

salute2
Semper Fi
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Probably bad etching job. Does not allow the paint to stick, especially if it peeled off in layers.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

I have an Express that has been in a lot of water over the last 2 years. I have been on sand, Oysters, tree branches, logs, ect... A few scratches are showing but the paint is doing great.