Offshore Dog Island

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Offshore Dog Island

Post by EddieJoe »

This Spring I have neglected my fishing in favor of house remodeling. Even though some more work remains at home, the advent of grouper season, including gags in state waters, got me ready to go on April 2. I had decided to wait one day to let the dust settle so Monday was the day. The night before, I had a fairly tough time locating all of my fishing gear, as I had to stuff it elsewhere while the remodel was going on. Still don't know what I did with my gloves.

By 4:30 a.m. I couldn't watch the clock anymore, so got up and began roaming around in search of coffee, breakfast, and a shower. My usual suspects for fishing partners had not been able to make it, including my wife, so it was a solo trip. The SUV eased out of the driveway right at 6, and I drove through a fairly foggy morning to Carrabelle, arriving at 7:15. This gave me time to unload my stuff early at the Boat Club so I could be the first in line to have the boat put in at 8. A couple of other guys arrived after I did, and we chatted a bit waiting for Frank to open up. Seems they had gone the day before, and pronounced the fishing then to be "pretty slow". I hoped it was a case of amateur angler.

Boat was put in, I idled out the canal and only bumped once, then stopped at C-Quarters to ice and gas up. The boat had not been run for a while, but started and operated just fine. Remembered to slap on the registration sticker right away, in case the man showed up. I had it, but just kept forgetting to put it on the side of the boat. At the mouth of the River, fog was lifting and the wind was light, water pretty calm. I popped the clutch, and put the Mechele on plane and eased on up to 35 mph for the ride to the first spot in 60'. A little chop in East Pass, then more as I headed SE. Seas were a confused 2' chop by the time I made it out a few miles, and I began to trim the tabs. No visible bait, no birds working. Hmmm. The first spot was in federal waters, where I hoped to bag some red grouper. When I arrived, the bottom looked good and fish were marking.

Well, there were lots of fish, but all big humpbacked blue head sea bass. They would eat anything, no matter how big the bait. No grouper hit, even live pins, dead bait, and lures. All the bass loved, and I kept 12 of the biggest so I would have something to take home. Moved to another 50' hole, same deal, only less fish. Moved again, to my favorite early Spring grouper area, which was in state waters, and I hoped gag country. No love.

Finally decided to troll the 45' zone, and managed to catch one nice gag, that weighed 10lbs on the Boga. By that time, it was 1:00 p.m., and I was ready to head in. The sea breeze was cranking up and the ride in was nice. Water temp was 71, wind SW 10-15 as I docked. Cleaned the boat and the fish, and the rest of the folks returning had about the same sort of day. All caught lots of bass, and a few grouper.

Still a fine day, except these days tire me more than they used to do.

My take home: 1 gag, 10 lbs, 12 big sea bass. Any sea bass lovers should go right now.

Luck,

EJ
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Offshore Dog Island

Post by silverking »

Great report, Ed. Sounds like a good day and those BSB are sure tasty.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup: :lick:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
fish finder
Site Sponsor

Post by fish finder »

EJ,

Glad you were able to knock the "rust" off and get back safely from your solo trip.

I went out opening "state water" day with my AP neighbor and we had a similar catch. First stop in state waters off DI and only seabass were biting. Moved out to 15 miles also looking for Red Grouper. First fish over the gunnels? A beauty Red Snapper about 12 lbs. Back over she went! Next fish? A nice Gag about 10lbs. Back over she went! Next 2 fish, red Groupers, both 19.5 inches. Back over they went! A few more seabass and back into state waters we went. Finally managed 3 nice gags in the 8-10lb range trolling stretch 30's.

Another note. I saw more boats on the water than I have in a long time, sometimes 15 within 1-2 miles. No FWC in sight. I just hope everyone else is playing by the rules too.

FF
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

fish finder wrote:EJ,

Glad you were able to knock the "rust" off and get back safely from your solo trip.

I went out opening "state water" day with my AP neighbor and we had a similar catch. First stop in state waters off DI and only seabass were biting. Moved out to 15 miles also looking for Red Grouper. First fish over the gunnels? A beauty Red Snapper about 12 lbs. Back over she went! Next fish? A nice Gag about 10lbs. Back over she went! Next 2 fish, red Groupers, both 19.5 inches. Back over they went! A few more seabass and back into state waters we went. Finally managed 3 nice gags in the 8-10lb range trolling stretch 30's.

Another note. I saw more boats on the water than I have in a long time, sometimes 15 within 1-2 miles. No FWC in sight. I just hope everyone else is playing by the rules too.

FF
Finder:

Lots of boats even on Monday. One thing for sure, like it or not, there are fewer gags to be caught these days inshore. I used to be able (not too long ago) to troll up many fish in less than an hour this time of year. While I don't agree that there should be any commercial harvest if gag need recovery, they do seem stressed. Any fishery as popular or valuable as a personally harvested resource shouldn't be caught to be sold, just as was done with red drum, or for that matter, bass, bream, deer, turkey, quail, and ducks.

Luck,

EJ
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

glad you got out EJ!
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Similar story here. Put out of Carrabelle Sunday morning. Hit some close numbers in about 32ft and got 2 gags and 1 red plus all the seabass you might want. Ran out to about 60ft of water just north of the O tower and got a few red grouper plus more seabass. Overall not a bad day, just slow going.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
Arclight

Post by Arclight »

Haven't posted here in years but thought I would add our day to this thread. Sunday off Dog Island 40' of water we landed the following - 4 Red Snapper (all keeper size thrown back), 19 Gag Grouper (10 keepers 26' to 32"), 3 King Mackerel (12 to 20 lb) and 4 BSB. 80% of the fish were caught between sunrise and 9:30 when the bite ended. Fished until 1:00 then headed to the hill.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Arclight wrote:Haven't posted here in years but thought I would add our day to this thread. Sunday off Dog Island 40' of water we landed the following - 4 Red Snapper (all keeper size thrown back), 19 Gag Grouper (10 keepers 26' to 32"), 3 King Mackerel (12 to 20 lb) and 4 BSB. 80% of the fish were caught between sunrise and 9:30 when the bite ended. Fished until 1:00 then headed to the hill.
Sounds like you found one of my holes.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Jumptrout51 wrote:
Arclight wrote:Haven't posted here in years but thought I would add our day to this thread. Sunday off Dog Island 40' of water we landed the following - 4 Red Snapper (all keeper size thrown back), 19 Gag Grouper (10 keepers 26' to 32"), 3 King Mackerel (12 to 20 lb) and 4 BSB. 80% of the fish were caught between sunrise and 9:30 when the bite ended. Fished until 1:00 then headed to the hill.
Sounds like you found one of my holes.
Wow! You hit the honey hole! I'll trade my sea bass spot for your grouper hole, just let me know.

EJ