Home made stik pin anchor

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Home made stik pin anchor

Post by Redbelly »

I'm looking for suggestions on one of these. I want it for at least 4' water. I knw somebody has done this.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Mossback

Re: Home made stik pin anchor

Post by Mossback »

Have you looked at all the store bought ones? Locally, Skinny Water has some nice ones for moderate price. They have the aluminum ones that float.
They do not carry the fiberglass ones but they can be found on internet. They can be stabbed in mud or sand and hold with a cord. Just wondering.

Are you just trying to get by a little cheaper? I wanted one but did not want to pay a lot of money because was not sure I would use it.

I did make a cheap one to try until I decide. Shoot me an email and I will describe it.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I thought about mounting a rod holder on the transome and using a 10 foot SS lightning rod that I have as the pin. Some 3/4 or 1" PVC may would do the job :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Grainger has several sizes of fiberglass rod that are pretty cheap. I'd go that route.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

I built one out a ground rod and some snap swivels and it works great and holds a boat very well
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Not a bad price at all on the 3/4" rod :thumbup: :beer:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DYNAFO ... Pid=search
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

I have one made from a golf course hole flag. Came w my boat from the previous owner. He said the golf courses replace all the flags a few times a year, so they have a lot of them to just throw away. Cut it and put a T handle on it. Works great.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Just ordered one of the granger pieces. Planning on mounting a B&M pistol grip shifter to the end, and put some foam or cork at the top also. I'll post up when I get it all together.
850-273-8818
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Let me know how that works for you I hVe been wanting to get one or make one myself
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

spent a little time looking for a stainless or aluminum ferrule for the tip to no avail.

figure I'll mount it on the starboard side gunwhale using antenna clips.

850-273-8818
tabb

Post by tabb »

How about some pics of these projects when finished.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I made mine with a 6' galvanized 5/8" ground rod. I drilled a hole though it at the top end and attached a stainless shackle. If the bottom isn't too hard I can chuck it and get a stick in 10' of water, but my boat isn't very heavy. For the holder I took two rod holder brackets that I had and cut a chunk out of the top of the bend on one, then mounted them about 4-1/2' apart. I slide the rod into the uncut bracket and then snap it into the other. I've never had it pop loose.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

lonesouth wrote:spent a little time looking for a stainless or aluminum ferrule for the tip to no avail.

figure I'll mount it on the starboard side gunwhale using antenna clips.
A machine shop could make a ferrule to fit. If the fiberglass rod is solid, I would just sand it to a dull point. It doesn't take much of a point to stick in the bottom around here.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Good ideas!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
bman

Post by bman »

reelhandy wrote:I made mine with a 6' galvanized 5/8" ground rod. I drilled a hole though it at the top end and attached a stainless shackle. If the bottom isn't too hard I can chuck it and get a stick in 10' of water, but my boat isn't very heavy. For the holder I took two rod holder brackets that I had and cut a chunk out of the top of the bend on one, then mounted them about 4-1/2' apart. I slide the rod into the uncut bracket and then snap it into the other. I've never had it pop loose.
I'd like to see some photos of that....
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"