Shimano Stradic - Which One? (& Penn Battle Review)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TKHathaway

Shimano Stradic - Which One? (& Penn Battle Review)

Post by TKHathaway »

So, over Easter weekend I bought a Penn Battle 4000 & had the guy at Bass Pro spool on some 15 lb PowerPro braid. Took it out to Mexico Beach this past weekend to test her out &, needless to say, it was wind knot city. I didn't read the reviews on this model until after I bought it (smart move) :roll: & it looks like I'm not the only one who had this problem with the Battle. The reel simply does not lay line properly, & from what I've read, may only apply to the 4000 model. Either way, was my first Penn & likely my last. My only hope now is that Bass Pro will take it back.

That said, I've decided to fork over the extra $100 & upgrade to a Shimano Stradic. I've never owned a Shimano but have only heard good things. Since I've narrowed it down between the Stradic Ci4 & FJ, my only question is, which one to go with? Anyone on here own these reels?

FWIW, it will primarily be used for inshore kayak fishing & will hopefully become my go-to Redfish reel.

Thanks for your help! :D
- TK

"I get enough exercise just pushing my luck"
Bullet

Re: Shimano Stradic - Which One? (& Penn Battle Review)

Post by Bullet »

I don't own an FJ but I have two FH reels & one FI (2500's) that I use for fishing in-shore. They have always performed well and have handled the reds very well.

The largest red I've landed w/ one of these reels was a 29" bruiser - that may have been the limit for the 2500.

Don't think you can go wrong w/ the Stradic.
Tight lines

Bullet
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

You'll like either reel but the CI4 is pretty sweet. Showboat has a couple & they're just about all he throws.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hard to go wrong with either the CI4 or the FG. Both have super smooth drags and no issues with line management. I use a set of FI 3000s for my charters and they have been very dependable and capable of handling reds, trout, jacks, macks, etc. The 2500 and 3000 are basically the same reels with the 3000 having slightly more line capacity. The new FG models have the X Ship feature for more rigidity to eliminate torque on bigger fish. The CI4 are made with carbon parts, so they're a little bit lighter (by about 3 ounces). You'll also pay about $20 more for the CI than the FG. The weight difference might be a factor fishing from the yak.

Fishin'Fool might chime in this evening. He services Shimano and has some great insights into design and construction.

Hopefully BP will take back the Penn, especially if you use the credit towards a Shimano.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

If they will not take it back. We will do it!
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Have 4 of the earlier FI 2500s, landed a 38" redfish, 24" cobia with no issues, have used 15# & 30# braid on the reels with no problem.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

I have a customer who landed a 70 pound Cobia on a Stradic 3000. He is Bow'd up on this site.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
TKHathaway

Post by TKHathaway »

I had all but assumed the 4000 was the way to go, but it sounds like most of you have 3000 or less. Any real big difference?
Last edited by TKHathaway on April 16th, 2012, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- TK

"I get enough exercise just pushing my luck"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Comparing the CI4 3000 to the 4000. Similar differences with the FG.

235 yards of 10# Power Pro
6.0:1 gear ratio
15# of drag
7.2 oz.

265 of 15# PP
5.8:1 ratio
20# of drag
9.3 ounces

Some folks feel the slightly larger spool of the 4000 will give longer casts, but for your application (yak/reds & trout), the 3000 would work fine. And as several have mentioned, that size and 15# of drag with Power Pro means you can whip some big fish. Just take your time and don't horse 'em.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

If I were buying one reel to make my primary kayak fishing combo, then it would be a 3000CI4 without question.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I'm sure mike will chime in on this, but I bought a ci4 2 weeks ago on my way to pick up some reels from him. He mentioned that the ci4 has bearings a little less corrosion resistant than the fg. I wanted something much lighter than the cabos I usually use. I was a little turned off by the idea of not great bearings, but reall wanted a lighter reel for topwater plug fishing. I love the reel, but am prepared to replace the bearings in a year or two. He also told my to leave that reel at home when I take the yak out, as they seem to see more saltwater when I yak fish. Good luck.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

The 3000 size is plenty of reel for inshore fishing, IMO. Personally, the CI Stradic body is nice, but I dislike the handle. I have 2 FI 3000s, a 4000, and a 2000. I also have a Shimano Baitrunner 3500 and a 4500.

On a yak where you are bringing one outfit, for me it would be a Stradic 3000 and a 7' medium action, very fast action rod, spooled with 15 lb (or 20 lb) 832 braid. Always hand close the bail, and that helps develop less wind knots.

Luck,

EJ
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

EddieJoe wrote: On a yak where you are bringing one outfit, for me it would be a Stradic 3000 and a 7' medium action, very fast action rod, spooled with 15 lb (or 20 lb) 832 braid.

Huh?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry, I meant Jim, as in reel repair by Jim. Not mike. Sorry fishinfool!
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

SHOWBOAT wrote:If I were buying one reel to make my primary kayak fishing combo, then it would be a 3000CI4 without question.
I will second that. I have 2500's, 4000's and one 3000 and fish the 3000 most of the time with 30 braid.