Alright Gents (AND LADIES) I Need Some Help

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Alright Gents (AND LADIES) I Need Some Help

Post by Scoop Sea »

Alright ya'll, I need some input on the following scenario:

I walked by my daughter's phone the other night (she is 12 and is in 6th grade), it was vibrating, and I saw there was a message for her that she had a "Words For Friends" game reply from a friend of her's dad (who is in the 36 - 38 age range, not exactly sure the correct age as I really don't know him). Me being old school like I am told my wife that I didn't think this was appropriate and that this should not be happening. My wife somewhat agreed, however, she defended the chivalry of the man in question. She did advise that she would follow up with our daughter on this matter. My daughter told my wife that the man in question's daughter said that she felt sorry for her dad because he didn't have any friends but her to play "words with friends with". So my daughter and her friends "friended" him to play this game because they felt sorry for him. To my wife and daughter, this appears to be o.k., but to me, I have a problem with a man 25+ years older than my daugher playing "words with friends" with her. My wife, along with a couple that we are friends with said that I am being over protective (they all know Mr. X and say he's a stand up guy, I really don't know him, but it doesn't matter much in my book, i.e. if you aren't related (and even that might be a stretch) you as a 36-38 year old man shouldn't be playing phone games with 12 year old girls, period. Despite the fact that he did not initiate the game, I still have a problem with him continuing the game with 12 year old girls, sorry, but that is just how I see it.

Therefore, I need ya'll to please weigh in and tell me one of the the following:

A.) It was all innocent, and I am just being an overprotective father

B.) This does seem somewhat unusual and you have a right to be concerned

Or

C.) You are correct to be concered with a 36-38 year old man playing "words with friends" with your 12 year old daugther and her friends, especially since you do not really know him.

Thanks everyone.

Scoop
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Re: Alright Gents (AND LADIES) I Need Some Help

Post by Barhopr »

(D), A sixth grader does not need a phone capable of text, internet, apps etc. basic phone programed to only call 911 and three or four other family members only.

Just my advise as a dad.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Cancel the game and monitor and it see if he retrys to initiate the game again. If he does nip it in the bud
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Trailer Trout

Post by Trailer Trout »

12 year olds don't have a 36 year old vocabulary. He needs to play with someone his on size. Get rid of him.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I choose "B". If he is that much of a stand up guy he can find friends his own age on Facebook to play the game with. I have had children of friends send me friend requests on FB. I usually decline, it just does not seem right to me.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

just deleted a killer long post about why this wrong;Scoop I am over protective and proud of it, that's our job. based off you post I would never let this to continue to go on. I can't believe I'm getting pissed just thinking bout it !! Proactive not re-active. HELL NO call this SOB and tell him that ain't the way things work round here !!! If he were a real man he would call and introduce himself to you or your wife. Men just don't do this sort of thing !! And I wouldn't play games with the guy either. If he doesn't know it wrong there's your sign
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

double post sorry
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Nip it!!! Creep outta take up fishin' instead of playing phone games with young girls. I have two daughters,they have their friends and I have mine. I would be livid!!
Flatsbroke
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

It is our job to protect them. I don't like this at all. If it were my daughter, I would not allow it!

Here is an example of this gone wrong: http://www.ajc.com/news/north-fulton/so ... 26825.html
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

B, somewhat. I am friends on FB with many of my daughters friends "12 to 60 yo" I interact a little with them, but mainly read their post. I have seen many older folks playing these games and concluded that most must not have much of a life outside of work and home! I receive request to play games all the time from the young and the old, I don't care for playing games, so I just ignore them. IF I did like to play, I would see no problem playing with any of them.

That being said :-D I would be monitor my daughters interaction with ANY male "especially at 12" and would feel some concern about a much older male playing games with her on-line. If I haven't already met the fella, I would make it a priority to do so "in a friendly and non-confrontational way" to see if I felt he was just an innocent, bored adult, or something else. We are all different and I surely don't expect every adult to act like an adult at all times, and this may just be one of those times. I would also send him a friend request so that I can see more of his interactions with others :thumbup: You may find that the guy is a great person that you would like to spend time with yourself :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Daybreak

Post by Daybreak »

I would not allow it. I agree with getting basic phone
no internet texting
As Barney said, "Nip it in the bud."
Daybreak
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Heck no Scoop! You are right. That dude needs to get a life. It is almost creepy to think about. Give me a couple hours notice and we will go "talk" to him. :-)
Team Jolly Mon
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Big C, You have a right to be over protective, if you aren't, who will be. I would find this clown and delete his phone service for him.
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

I agree with BarHopr....I am getting in to that age group, where a lot of my friends have children that are middle/HS age. That have sent me friend requests on Facebook. It is just good general practice to not even get involved. I am not a parent my self, but am very protective of my own nieces and nephews. I would keep an eye on it....and start by deleting that app, and see who contacts who first. Either way someone is gonna need a talking too... Good luck!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

It's a good idea to friend your kids' friends on facebook or wherever, just to keep an eye on who they're hanging out with. It may be completely innocent, and he's just checking up on who his kids are hanging out with. But that doesn't mean it's not OK for you to confront him about it. If he's the kind of dad who's just keeping a close eye on his own kids, he should understand if you come off a little agressive and be able to explain himself. But if he gets all deffensive and acts nervous, well...................
I'd take him swimming with a pair of concrete shoes.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb