Heavier rod recommendations

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CaptReelThyme

Heavier rod recommendations

Post by CaptReelThyme »

I use shimano terramar rods with shimano 2500 reels... Looking for something bit heavier, and birthday is coming. Any ideas or recommendations ?...
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Heavier rod recommendations

Post by Reel Cowboy »

You could always go custom brotha.
Are you looking for offshore heavy or inshore heavy? What sort of applications do you foresee these rods being used for?

I know a guy
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Pick the reel you think is the upgrade in size you want and then let Reel Cowboy build you a rod to mach it. He does great work and will get you the right rod/reel combo you need. You will not be sorry and that will be a birthday to remember.
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

I'm thinkin spinning reel, maybe stradic 5000 , custom rod. Have off shore rods and reels, but nothing in between. Something for Cobia, tarpon. I leave for Boca Grande end of this month, then back to tally, then islamorada in June. Will be in touch with you ReelCowboy....
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The Stradic 5000 loaded with 20- to 30-pound braid is a good choice for your intended use. You can pack up to 300 yards of line on it to handle most cobia, tarpon and sharks. I've got a client set mounted on extra-fast medium heavy Teramar rods after scaling down based on Capt. Ron's recommendation.

But since you're talking about a personal outfit and birthday present to boot, I'll add my plug for Matthew's Fishin' Styx (Reel Cowboy). Matthew does nice work, the rod will be sensitive and balanced, and you'll enjoy it for years to come. Give him a call.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

:stupid_1
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.