Inshore reel

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

filetandrelease

Inshore reel

Post by filetandrelease »

Anybody have any suggestions on a good inshore reel? I am debating between the penn conquer and the smallest quantum cabo. I have used the shimano's and my dad has many, but I just want something different. I don't mind spending up to 200 or so, if the reel is worth it. I also looked into the Fin nor inshore reel, but not many reviews. I like to fish with light braid if that makes a difference. My penn slammer has finally gone out after 10 or so years and it's time to upgrade. Thanks.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Inshore reel

Post by Salty Gator »

I have a bunch of cabos. I would recommend any except the 20( smallest one). The drag isn't nearly as smooth as the larger models. Also it doesn't put line back on the reel very quickly, I have lost fish that were swimming right at the boat because I couldn't catch up to them. If you want a cabo get a 40. If your dead set on a 20, pm me and I'll give you a good deal on one, just serviced by Jim. If you want a smaller reel, look at a stradic 2500 or 3000
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I like the Cabos, just a bit too heavy for my care for a true inshore reel.

However, I have a Boca 30 with upgraded Cabo internals that works like a dream.

8' tiger sharks, 10lb reds, etc... very good reel.

There are tons of reviews out there; search through the site here and read through the reel reviews, suggestion threads, etc.

The BEST thing you can do however, is get to a store and test one out for yourself
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The Quantum Cabos I have serviced seem to be very sturdy. I am partial to Shimano because I have been using them for so long. Either the new Stradic FJ or the Saros FJ in the 3000 size. The Fin Nor Inshore spinner looks like it might be worth a try and at $130 it wont break the bank. I have seen a couple of the Team Daiwa Fuegos and have been impressed.
Then there is the top of the line stuff. You can go from the Penn Conquer 4000($200) to the Shimano Sustain 3000 ($330) and Daiwa Certate 3000 ($500) to the Shimano Stella 3000 ($730) to the Van Staal VSB 150 ($820)

Personally if I were to change from Shimano I would go with the Quantum or the Fin Nor. I am impressed with the product line, solid and dependable, as well as the customer service and support, friendly, professional and competent. Both are owned by the same parent company.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Like fishinfool, I'm a Shimano man and have Stradics, Sustains and Stellas. All have been very dependable.

In the past I have fished the Quantum Cabos and Bocas. The Boca drags were kind of sticky, but I was very impressed with the Cabos except the weight. They are heavier. Have caught tarpon up to 35 pounds on 8-pound test with the 30s.

I've also fished the older Fin nor reels. Great drags and light, but when I needed to repair the parts were no longer available. As FF points out, however, both Quantum and Fin nor are now owned by the same company and they have put a lot of money into R&D.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Dude, look into the Quantum Catalyst PTs Inshore (PT"s" for saltwater; avoid the non-saltwater PTi version). These are my oldest and most-used reels (I have a 30 and a 40). I also have stradics, stellas, cabos, supercasters, etc. The Catalyst PTs are the only ones I have never had to service. Drags still smooth and steady, wind good with no noise or roughness.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
filetandrelease

Post by filetandrelease »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like quantum is worth looking in to. I agree the shimano line is great, just thought I might try something different. I have been using a penn slammer, but I have read that some of the newer penn stuff isn't as well made. I'll definitely go hold a few quantums and the fin nor if I can find it in store.
littlejohn
Site Sponsor

Post by littlejohn »

I'm with Harmsway. I have been using Catalyst, Bocas and Cabos for Years With no problems on any of them.
bman

Post by bman »

I've Ben really happy with the 3000 class shimano saros
With braid they handle trout reds and Spanish great
I have a 4000 but it's a little heavy. I've relegated it to free lineing baits out the back of the boat or floating pinfish
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"