Now $5 to put your boat in at Mashes

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

billch

Now $5 to put your boat in at Mashes

Post by billch »

And $2 to park at the beach and $1 to ride your bike to the beach. Thanks Wakulla Co. Also, I like the extra $100 I get to pay for the garbage removal and the extra 6% I'm paying on my phone, electric, water and cell phone bill.

I really appreciate all the extra services the county is now supplying with this extra cash they are taking in.

The $5 fee will certainly increase visitors to come to Wakulla co.

The poor kid they hired to collect the money was catching heck yesterday from the disgruntled boaters.
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Re: Now $5 to put your boat in at Mashes

Post by WolfeMan »

Yeah, we were surprised by the $2 parking fee for the beach too. We've been there so many times that we gave sincere thought to the possibility that those kids were running a scam. I said "Two bucks to park on the street? Since when?" and the girl said "since today." My buddy asked if she worked for the county and she pointed to a "STAFF" t-shirt..not very convincing. It's only two bucks though.....but it was surprising, and looked surprisingly unofficial.

Post by silverking »

It costs money to empty the trash cans, clean the bathrooms and maintain the ramp/dock/parking. And $5 to launch/$2 to park is cheap compared to many other facilities.

TANSTAFL--There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. :wink:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Heck, it's $3 ta launch at the Sopchoppy city park :o it's well worth the $5 if they watch for theifs, as well as take the money at Mashes :thumbup: and you'll pay more than $5 for most any lure or Gulp that ya buy :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Did the county make the ramp longer and dredge the channel?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Did the county make the ramp longer and dredge the channel?
billch

Post by billch »

No you still drop off the end of the ramp and the mouth hasn't been dredged for two years.
As far as any thing else different, they did pave the entrance and exit to the ramp with the left over asphalt for the bike trail. Probably have to pay to use it soon too.
I don't like the new user fee "tax". Why now? Obviously the ramp was paid for a long time ago.
Because they spent their (our) money on stupid weatherization programs and other nonsense.
Can't wait for the elections to arrive.
We went back and put in a Rock Landing.
We did catch 3 cobia at Rotary Reef.
Flatswdr

Post by Flatswdr »

I wonder how long the entrance fee and launching fee will last. In past years the county has collected fees at some of the parks. I know for sure that I have paid an entrance fee at Shell Point and Mashes Sands during the Spring and Summer but it was not consistent. The county may end it during the fall but who knows. Thanks for the info billch because I'm going their today and usually don't carry cash with me.
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

As far as parks go, Mashes Sands is as basic as it gets, but I definitely acknowledge that there are operating costs associated with the bathrooms, showers, and trash/recycling receptacles.

Man, that place is dangerous for kids tho - one little girl in our group gashed her foot open on something (shell?) in the water and had to be taken to the ER and ended up with better than a half-dozen stitches. Some of the kids had water-shoes, but seeing that cut, Im thinking that it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Wicked.

Post by billch »

Well, the Wakalla Co. website says free parking for Mashes and a fee for the fishing pier.
I have cleaned up the park more than once.
And, finally, unless they pay the prisoners, it costs them zero to clean it up because the prisoners are brought in to do it.
Sorry about the negative nature of this post, it just cranks my tractor to keep paying these fees, not only in Wakulla but everywhere else.
Our taxes paid for these ramps, roads, schools, etc. etc. a long time ago.
I wonder if the oystermen are going to pay the $5 fee?
OK I'm done.
Good fishing everyone!
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

I was also went there yesterday to take the family to the beach and was supposed to take the boat and go out fishing for a bit before we hit the beach but didn't feel real good. I was surprised to to see the 2 buck charge but was happy to Pay it for me and the family had a great time, but do hope they take some of that money and put into the park like put doors on the stalls in the bathrooms. Last year they were charging 50 cent which I thought was silly cause that was proably not even enought to pay the kid taken the money. I think it just about 5 bucks to launch anywhere these days
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Yeah.
What kills me is, they are taking these fees....but they arent improving the parks. I have no problem paying to take my kid to mashes sands......but I mean damn. Last time we went the bathrooms were so messed up I wouldn't let my kid go in there, and I let her eat cherrios off the floor! Lol. There was glass everywhere, the lights were hanging down and there were USED feminine products on the floors.
This was at like 3pm on a Sunday so there was plenty of time to clean/ repair vandalism if that was the case. And like the boat ramp.... who can even launch there? I mean I have a kayak. Lol..... but there's no water at low tide and the ramp is too short.
And yet here we are paying to visit these places.
I don't mind paying to play. ..... upkeep and maitenence costs money that our communities don't have/ can't be just giving away.
But if they're gonna charge me to use a particular facility....the money damnwell better be used to maintain. That facility, and not go into some douches check.